What do I need to apply to Springfield College?

Learn how to apply Springfield College as an international student

What tests do I need to enter Springfield College?

For international applicants with a native language other than English, proof of English proficiency must be demonstrated. 

Springfield College recognizes the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as well as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The college also recognizes Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) and Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic as proof of English proficiency. Learn more.

International students generally do not need to submit a Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores as an admissions requirement. Transcripts will be evaluated.

Do you offer an English program if my TOEFL or IELTS score is too low?

Yes. Students who do not have the required English Proficiency score may receive a conditional acceptance.

When do I get my I-20?

When all the application materials have been received at the College, and an acceptance letter has been issued by the admissions director, you will need to submit your financial guarantee form and make your tuition deposit. You will then receive your I-20 from the International Center. When you receive the I-20 Form, you may apply for your F-1 student visa.

How many international students are there at Springfield College?

In 2015, there were about 120 international students/scholars from 25 different countries.

What services does the International Center provide for international students?

We advise students on the admissions process, immigration, taxes, and academics. In addition, we offer an orientation program to ease the transition to Springfield College. This includes airport, bus or train station pickup; moving into available on- or off-campus housing; accessing health care; opening a bank account; and help and support using all of the resources of the College.

Is there any financial aid available to international students?

Yes! Explore financial aid and scholarship information for international students.

Can I work while I study at Springfield College?

Students on an F1 visa may work on campus only. A maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular semester, and a maximum of 40 hours per week during school break(s) are allowed.

Are there any clubs or activities for international students?

All international students can participate in the International Student Organization. This club arranges many social, cultural and educational activities for international students throughout the year. Each spring the international students organize an International Festival. In addition, there are many opportunities to join clubs and organizations that range from intramural sports to service to arts and music. 

My visa has expired! Am I out of status?

Your expired visa does not mean you are out of status. As long as you are a full-time student and you have a current I-20, you are maintaining your status. However, you need a valid visa to enter the country, so if you leave the U.S., you must visit an American Consulate to get a new visa before entering the U.S. Any questions please contact the International Center.

I don’t work. Do I have to fill out tax forms?

All students have to fill out tax forms. Students with on-campus jobs usually don’t make enough money to need to pay taxes. Tax forms and instructions are available in the International Center.