Employment in F1 Status

  • Students in F1 Status may only obtain on-campus work. Students may work on campus for no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during school breaks.
  • Students must have a social security number in order to work.
    • First you must show proof that you have employment. The Financial Aid Office has a list of job opportunities on campus. You may also inquire in the Computer Center, the Mailroom, the Library, and with Facilities and Campus Services.
    • The International Center will give you a letter to take to the Social Security Office.
    • Take the letter from the International Center, hiring form, your passport, original I-20, visa and I-94 to the Social Security Office at 1550 Main Street, Springfield, MA. You will fill out an application at the SS office. You may download the form at here.
  • To start work at Springfield College, you will need an “Authorization to Hire" form that is available in the Financial Aid Office, or from the supervisor where you plan to work.
  • You will be required to record your work hours on a form provided by your supervisor.
  • Paychecks are issued every two weeks. They may be picked up at the Business Office window on Friday between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.