Students with F-1 or J-1 visas who arrived in the United States are required to file a Tax Return even if they have earned no income.

Tax forms and instructions are available in the International Center or online here.

If you have received no income subject to taxation, you may complete Form 8843. Taxable income includes salary from on-campus work and U.S. based scholarships that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books and course supplies. You do not need a social security number to complete this form.

If you have received taxable income (for example, from on-campus employment), you will receive a W-2 form from the Business Office by January 31. You will need to complete a tax return even if you are exempt from paying taxes.

You will need the following information to complete your tax return.

  • Passport
  • Form I-94
  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
  • W-2 Form
  • 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ
  • Social Security Number

The deadline for filing your tax return for April 15 each year.