Celebration of 100 Years of Swimming and Diving
August 29, 2016
Hello Alumni and Friends of Springfield College Swimming and Diving!
We hope you are planning on joining us for the Celebration of 100 Years of Swimming & Diving at Springfield College, and the dedication of the Charles E. “Red” Silvia All-America Exhibit on November 18-19, 2016!
We encourage you to make hotel reservations by calling the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Springfield at 413-886-8000. A special rate of $149/night is available for reservations made prior to October 26, 2016 (mention Springfield College Swimming & Diving when calling to reserve your room).
Please watch your mail this fall for the official event registration brochure which will contain additional details. Online registration will also be available by mid fall.
A new academic year is nearly upon us! The students are filing in and we are incredibly excited to assemble our team and embark on the next 100 years of swimming & diving here at Springfield College!
We hope you’ll come and see us in action during this very special weekend honoring the longevity of our program and celebrating with those (like you) who contributed to our success along the way.
April 18, 2016
Coach Taffe and Coach Avdoulos request the honor of your presence at the “Celebration of 100 Years of Swimming & Diving” at Springfield College on Friday and Saturday, November 18th & 19th, 2016.
- Make your hotel reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn by calling 413.886.8000 and be sure to mention the “Springfield College Swimming & Diving 100th Year Celebration”. Reservations must be made no later than October 26 to receive a special group rate of $149/night + tax.
- At the celebration we will be hosting a Friday night social, the dedication of the Charles E. “Red” Silvia All-America Exhibit (followed by a brunch on Saturday), a home swimming & diving meet, and a formal evening dinner in the Campus Union (preceded by a social hour in the Springfield College museum, which now occupies the site of the famous McCurdy Natatorium!).
Points of Pride for the current Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Teams
- Another successful season recently came to a close with our women finishing a strong 2nd and the men 5th at our NEWMAC Championships.
- Several student athletes achieved NCAA qualifying standards and six participated in NCAA post season championship meets. Seniors Michael Normoyle and Alyssa Carle, along with Juniors Emily Medeiros and Delaney Dyjak competed at the D-III national championships in Greensboro, NC, highlighted by All-American performances by Medeiros in the 100 (4th) and 200 breaststroke (6th), and Carle in the 100 breaststroke (10th). Senior Melanie Avdoulos and first year Sierra Skaza participated in the NCAA Regional Diving Championships, with Avdoulos earning NCAA 1st Alternate.
- Coach John Taffe was named NEWMAC Swimming Coach of the Year for the women’s team.
- The future of both programs looks bright. Although we will graduate 14 seniors (9 women, 5 men) in 2016, many of our top performers will be returning next fall.
- Recruiting is going well and we anticipate a large, talented class of swimmers and divers joining us for the 2016-17 season.
- Please feel free to follow us on the Springfield College website, Facebook and Twitter. We are excited to continue the tradition of swimming and diving excellence and truly appreciate your support.
In closing, make sure you save the date to come back to campus and attend part, or all of this special celebration of our historic program.
Coach John Taffe, Swimming Coach
Coach Pete Avdoulos ’85, Diving Coach