Class of 1984
Dear Fellow 1984 Classmates,
Next month we welcome April showers so to bring in the beautiful May flowers. Remember the spring tulips all around campus? It was always telltale of the end of another year at Springfield College and a well-deserved summer break. Well in 1984, it represented a bittersweet feeling of “Yay, we did it!” coupled with “Oh my goodness, this chapter of our life is over.” Believe it or not, that feeling was 35 years ago!
Join us back on campus for our 35th Reunion and share what you’ve been up to and catch up with old friends. At past reunions, in addition to rekindling old relationships, we have even made new friends with classmates we didn’t know that well while in school. Based on what we’ve planned for this year’s reunion, we know you’ll do the same. We hope you are able to join us Thursday, June 6th through Sunday, June 9th, for all or any part of the fun. You will receive a detailed schedule and registration form in April.
Some of the fun we have planned for Reunion Weekend include many multiclass events; beer and wine tasting, live band in Cheney Hall. However, we take special pride in the Class of 1984 private dinner on the docket for Saturday night. Our Saturday dinner will include a cash bar reception, bountiful buffet and room for plenty of socializing while playing Ladder Ball, Corn Hole or just catching up.
When President Flynn took the helm in 1999, two presidents after our president, Wilbert Locklin, retired, he made some major campus upgrades and additions. Then in 2013, when our current president, Mary Beth Cooper, joined our Alma Mater, she continued in the same vein. Some sites to be sure to visit while on campus are:
- Take Senior Walk past the greased flagpole (remember Sti-yu-ka) to the back side of Alumni Hall – Fire Pit and great ambiance for studying or just quiet reflecting.
- Hang out in front of the “old BC”, now called the Flynn Student Union, and hold a conversation with an artistic bronze rendition of Dr. James Naismith, while you gaze at the newly renovated “old Babson Library”, now called the Harold Smith Learning Commons.
- If you have fond memories of all the sporting events available to us on campus, you’ll surely appreciate the renovated Berry-Allen Field (now Archie Allen Field) by a partnership with the Cal Ripken, Sr Foundation creating an intercollegiate and adaptive baseball park, behind the outdoor track, right off Wilbraham Avenue.
Well, that’s enough for now. You’ll just have to come back to campus and see for yourself! We’d love to see you and spend some time together. Please join us on our private Facebook group, Springfield College 84 and follow us on twitter @SprngfldColl84 for updates on Reunion plans. We’ve reserved a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn & Suites (851 E. Columbus Avenue, Springfield, MA). Simply call to make your reservation (413.310.2300) by May 6 with your major credit card and remember to ask for the ’Springfield College Reunion 2019’ block.
Hope to see you on campus!
Your 1984 Reunion Committee,
Susan Kelin Cowell, Jeannine Reside Donovan, Louisa Davis Freeman,
Leslie Rooney Germond, Mike Germond, Bruce Keator,
Barry McNulty, Jo Ann Hoffman Short, and Keith Strong
Dear Fellow 1984 Classmates,
We hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season with your families and 2019 is off to a great start!
Can you believe it was 35 years ago when we were receiving our diplomas and were excited and probably nervous to go off and make a difference in the world? We hope you will join us at least for a portion of Reunion Weekend, June 6-9 to renew friendships and reminisce about all the fun and crazy times at SC!
Please join our private Facebook group, Springfield College 1984 and share your memories and photos, and follow us on twitter @SprngfldColl84 for updates on classmates and reunion plans. You will receive a detailed agenda and registration form in April.
Do you remember…
- Air Bands and Jello Wrestling at Sti-yu-ka
- Thursday Nights at the Well
- Passing time on the benches in front of the BC
- Watching your classmates dance like ballerinas during the Hypnotist’s Show
- The Mike Swirsky Road Race
- Meeting up with your families during Homecoming and Parents Weekend
- “Lets do the Time Warp Again” at the Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Watching General Hospital with friends in the basement of the BC
- All those wonderful skills classes
- The excitement of Graduation Day!\
We hope you are inspired to come back to the beautiful SC campus and join in all the festivities during Reunion Weekend, June 6-9, 2019. At least stop in and say “hi” even if you cannot come for the weekend. Watch your mail and email for details as they unfold. In the meantime, if you have
not already, please fill-out the pre-response form below and return it. It is simply to give us an advanced idea of numbers.
Please Note: The College has a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn & Suites (851 E. Columbus Ave, Springfield, MA) to make your reservation call (413) 310-2300 by May 6 with your major credit card. Remember to ask for the Springfield College Reunion 2019 block.
Let’s show our class spirit!
The 1984 Reunion Committee
Susan Kelin Cowell, Jeanine Reside Donovan,
Louisa Davis Freeman, Leslie Rooney Germond,
Michael Germond, Bruce Keator, Barry McNulty,
JoAnn Hoffman Short, and Keith Strong
September 1, 2018
Dear Class of 1984,
Our 35th Reunion will be June 6-9, 2019!!
It’s back to school time for all of us in education, as well as those with children or partners heading back for another year. Since we’re all filling in our calendars with this year’s events we thought it would be a great time to send out this note. Please save the dates and start making plans with your classmates and friends to meet back on campus for a great time next spring!
Meanwhile, please join our private Facebook group, Springfield College 84, and follow us on Twitter @SprngfldColl84 for updates on classmates and reunion plans, including campus-wide events and hotel accommodations. Watch your mail, email, and social media for more information as the year unfolds. You’ll receive a detailed agenda and a response form early next spring. For now, just reach out and share your memories…
- How nervous you were at the start of PreCamp and Orientation
- Meeting your roommate for the first time
- Wearing our beanies the first week of school
- Square dancing on the football field with Coach Parker
- Hanging out in front of the BC on a warm and sunny day
- Sledding on trays from Cheney behind Alumni Hall
- Enjoying a cold one at Anthony's and the Well
- Plowing down a cheeseburger grinder from Pizza King
- Cheering on one of the many SC Athletic teams
- The oatmeal pass and greased flagpole at Sti-yu-ka
- Trying to hit it big at Casino Night
- The Hosaga Pow Wow
- Pub nights in the BC
- Taking in a live band behind Alumni Hall
Share YOUR memories and photos on our FB page, Springfield College 84, and please consider joining the reunion committee!! We are looking for more people to help plan the events for our class that weekend. We would love to include your ideas, so if you can join us for a couple of conference calls in the spring, please email us and tell us you’ll help. Thank you!!
The start of your 1984 Reunion Committee, Susan Kelin Cowell, Jeannine Reside Donovan, Louisa Davis Freeman, Leslie Rooney Germond, Mike Germond, Bruce Keator, Barry McNulty, JoAnn Hoffman Short, Keith Strong
PS…Please complete and return the enclosed pre-response form in the enclosed reply envelope. This is not your registration. It is to give us an advanced idea of numbers for planning and to collect email, and social media information for future communications.