Important Coronavirus Information from Health Center
March 4, 2020
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
Springfield College continues to monitor the outbreak of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are closely following the guidance and recommendations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) to ensure appropriate measures are taken to keep our campus safe and provide our community important information and resources.
There are no cases of COVID-19 here at Springfield College and the immediate risk in Massachusetts continues to be low. The COVID-19 virus is transmitted via respiratory droplets during close unprotected contact between a person with the virus and someone who does not have it. Stopping transmission (spread) of the virus through everyday practices is the best way to keep people healthy. Taking the following preventive measures can help you to avoid the infection:
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve and wash your hands afterwards.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid non-essential travel to highly affected countries or regions of the world.
- The Department of Health is still recommending you get a flu shot if you haven’t done so already.
- Masks: There is no hard evidence that wearing a mask protects the wearer outside of the health care setting.
The Health Center also recommends the following:
- Students: If you have a fever, cough or difficulty breathing and either have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19 or if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19 call the Health Center at 413-748-3175. The Health Center is open Monday through Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm. After hours contact Public Safety at 413-748-5555.
- Employees: Stay home if sick and contact your Primary Care Provider or Local Hospital Emergency Room to determine where you should go to be medically evaluated.
- Do not attend classes or work if sick.
- If you are traveling, check the CDC recommendations and follow appropriately: CDC COVID-19 Travel Recommendations
Springfield College will continue to monitor the situation and keep the community informed.
Kathleen Hogan-Soltys, NP
Director, Springfield College Health Center