At Springfield College, all mask or face coverings should:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face,
- Be secured with ties or ear loops,
- Include multiple layers of fabric, and
- Allow for breathing without restriction.
The CDC discourages the use of cloth masks. Updated recommendations are to wear masks with at least two layers of fabric that are closely fitted to cover the nose and mouth. Double masking with a surgical mask and cloth mask is preferable to a cloth mask alone. When available, N95, KN95, and KF94 masks are deemed more effective than other types of masks.
Masks with exhale valves are not permitted.
The Springfield College mask policy follows guidance from the CDC, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and the American College Health Association, as well as complies with local municipal regulations.
- Required where posted, including in any office, campus location or event.
- Required in classrooms or class-based activities per individual instructor communication.
- Required in healthcare service settings (including the Health Center, Counseling Center, and Athletic Training rooms).
- Optional in other indoor locations on campus, such as in the learning commons, residence halls, at East Campus, during recreational activities at the field house, wellness center, and PE complex, at Athletics events, in administrative offices and buildings, and at the Campus Union.
In the spirit of Humanics, we ask you to respect the wishes of your close community members and act accordingly within individual departments, offices, and buildings.