Prepare for Social Work Practice

With nationally recognized faculty, MSW weekday and weekend options, and a program that prepares you for social work practice, we're ready for you to take the next step. Whether you choose to attend in Worcester or Springfield, the program's quality and content are the same, and you'll have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience by completing field practicums and field seminars. We're preparing leaders for practice with individuals, families, communities, groups, and organizations. 

Applicants who have earned a BSW from a CSWE accredited program may be able to earn an MSW in three or four semesters. 

Now enrolling in the Master of Social Work Weekend Program at our Springfield campus for the spring 2020 semester.

School of Social Work Students Enjoy Classroom Discussion

Attend an Open House

We invite you to attend one of our open house events where you can learn more about the MSW program at Springfield College.

Join us on one of the following dates in Springfield or Worcester:

  • March 5, 2020 | 4:30 - 6 p.m.
  • March 7, 2020 | 3 - 4:30 p.m.
a group stands in the department of graduate social work


Accepting applications for fall enrollment. 

Now enrolling in the Master of Social Work Weekend Program at our Springfield campus for the spring 2020 semester.

Admission Requirements

If you are interested in applying to the Springfield College Department of Graduate Social Work, for either the weekday or weekend program, you will need:

  • Completed application and $50 application fee
  • A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that reflects a broad background in liberal arts, with at least twenty semester hours in the social, behavioral, and biological sciences with an emphasis on human biology. Social and behavioral sciences include anthropology, economics, education, history, political science, psychology, and sociology. Biological sciences include botany, biology, physiology, and zoology. The School looks favorably on transcripts that include coursework in writing and in research methods or statistics.
  • A grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 for all undergraduate work and 3.0 in the last two years of academic work. Some exceptions are made, and the faculty considers other evidence that demonstrates the candidate’s ability to conduct graduate study in social work. Applicants who do not meet the GPA minimum will be considered for admission on probation if space is available.
  • The personal capacity to work effectively with people to achieve professional standing;
  • Social work experience as an employee, volunteer, or in an undergraduate field practicum;
  • A professional statement describing: (1) professional goals and reasons for pursuing an MSW degree in this program; and (2) the education, professional/work experience, and personal characteristics that make the applicant a good candidate for an advanced generalist MSW program.
  • Three professional or academic references that address the applicant’s ability, potential, and readiness for graduate education and professional social work experience.  A recommendation form must also be submitted by each professional or academic reference. 
  • Transcripts from all undergraduate institutions.
    Transcripts must be in English. If the transcript is not in English you will be required to submit a professional credential evaluation completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. In some cases, including if you plan to request coursework be transferred, a course-by-course translation is required. For this we recommend the World Education Services or Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
  • A copy of your resume.

Although all work for the MSW is usually completed at the Springfield College Department of Graduate Social Work, transfer credit may be awarded on a course-by-course basis for up to nine graduate credits earned at a CSWE-accredited graduate program in social work. Following admission, a student’s coursework with grades of B or better that have been taken within five years of the anticipated date of completing the MSW Program at Springfield College will be considered by the faculty committee.

International Applicants from non-English speaking countries must demonstrate English language proficiency by way of one of the following examinations:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)

All application materials should be mailed to:

Springfield College
Office of Graduate Admissions
263 Alden Street
Springfield, MA 01109

If you choose to email your application documents, please note that transcripts and letters of recommendation will not be considered official unless they are emailed directly from the original source and not from the applicant. Please submit materials via email to

Advanced Standing Programs (Weekend and Weekday)

Applicants to the Advanced Standing Program must complete a supplemental application.

MSW/JD Dual Degree Program

Applicants interested in the MSW/JD Program must successfully meet the separate admissions requirements of each institution and be accepted into the dual degree program. The dual degree program is only open to the students in the full-time MSW and JD programs.

Although admission to the dual degree program is usually decided at initial enrollment, it is possible to begin studies in either the MSW or JD program and then enroll in the dual degree program. Application to the second institution must be made before completion of the first year of studies at the first institution.

Neither the Springfield College Department of Graduate Social Work nor the Western New England University School of Law admits new students for the spring semester.

Bachelor of Science/Master of Social Work Program

Benefits of Program

The BS/MSW Degree Program is a courtesy program for a small, select group of undergraduate students at Springfield College who are already majoring in social work-related fields and who wish to pursue the Master of Social Work degreein the  Department of Graduate Social Work. The program will enable a selected group of undergraduate students in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at Springfield College who meet rigorous graduate admissions criteria to complete the Bachelor of Science degree, with a major in Criminal Justice, or Applied Sociology, and the Master of Social Work degree, in four undergraduate academic years, one summer, and one academic year of graduate study.

Eligibility, Requirements, and Admission

The BS/MSW dual degree program is open to Springfield College undergraduate students who are in selected majors in the Department of Social Sciences; have earned an overall GPA of 3.0 by the end of the fall semester of their third year; and have completed at least 81 credits. Students also must have completed two credits of undergraduate field experience with a grade of B or better. To apply, students must submit a letter of interest to the admissions coordinator of the Department of Graduate Social Work, accompanied by a working transcript and a letter of recommendation from their undergraduate faculty advisor. These documents must be submitted during the spring semester of the student's third undergraduate year, no later than March 15. The School of Social Work admissions committee reviews requests for admission to these courses. A complete, formal application is required in the spring semester of the student's fourth year, and additional eligibility requirements apply.

For more information about the BS/MSW program students should consult with their undergraduate faculty advisor in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Apply online

Learn More About Us

If you have questions about the Springfield College Department of Graduate Social Work admissions process, or if you want to schedule a personalized visit, please contact admissions at

Learn More About the Department of Graduate Social Work