Donna J. Chapman
- (413) 748-3567
Athletic Training and Exercise Science Facilities
Donna Chapman, PhD, RD, earned a bachelor's degree in nutritional sciences from the University of Connecticut, a master's of science degree in clinical dietetics (1984) at Boston University, and did her doctoral work nutritional sciences at the University of Connecticut. Her research has focused on maternal and child nutrition, with an emphasis on evaluating breastfeeding interventions targeting low-income Latinas. She served as the associate editor for the Journal of Human Lactation for more than 10 years, and is the author of more than 30 peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Introduction to Nutritional Sciences
- Issues in Public Health and Physical Activity
- Techniques of Applied Nutrition
- Applied Nutrition
- Nutritional Assessment
- Community Nutrition
Certifications and Memberships
- Registered Dietitian
- International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Society for Nutrition
- Western Area Massachusetts Dietetics Association
- International Lactation Consultant Association: Lactation Professionals’ Perceptions of Lactation Assessment Tools: Purpose, Thought Process, Limitations and Suggested Improvements (2 hour workshop) (2016)
- La Leche League of Connecticut: Promising Evidence-based Strategies to Reduce Breastfeeding Disparities (2016)
- International Lactation Consultant Association Conference: Lactation Assessment Tools: Reliability when applied to overweight and obese women (2015)
- International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation: Breastfeeding Disparities in the US (2014)
- Rhode Island Breastfeeding Coalition Conference: "Early formula supplementation among minority women: How do we start to change "las dos?" 2012
- International Lactation Consultant Association Conference: "High Quality Qualitative Research" (Workshop co-presenter) 2011
- Experimental Biology Conference: "Breastfeeding Among Minority Women: From risk factors to interventions" 2011
- International Lactation Consultants Association Convention: "Critiquing the literature: What is it really telling me?" 2010
- Holyoke (Mass.) Hospital: "Improving breastfeeding practices among Latinas" 2010
- Chapman DJ, Doughty K, Mullin EM, Pérez-Escamilla R. Reliability of lactation assessment tools applied to overweight and obese women. J Hum Lact 2016; 32:269-276.
- Martinez JL, Chapman DJ, Pérez-Escamilla R. Prepregnancy obesity class is a risk factor for failure to exclusively breastfeed at hospital discharge among Latinas. J Hum Lact 2016; 32:258-268.
- Hromi-Fiedler A, Chapman DJ, Segura-Pérez S, Damio G, Clark P, Pérez-Escamilla R. Barriers and facilitators to improve fruit and vegetable intake among WIC-eligible pregnant Latinas: An application of the Health Action Process Approach Framework. J Nutr Educ Behav 2016; 48:468-477.
- Cornell E, Lerer T, Hagadorn JI, Chapman DJ, Lussier M, Brownell E. A well-baby peer counseling program is not associated with human milk receipt in the NICU. J Perinatol 2016. 36:758-762.
- Washio Y, Humphreys M, Colchado E, Sierra-Ortiz M, Zhang Z, Collins BN, Kilby KC, Chapman DJ, Higgins ST, Kirby KC. Incentive-based intervention to maintain breastfeeding among low-income Puerto Rican mothers. Pediatrics 2016 (published online ahead of print)
- Chapman DJ, Morel K, Bermudez-Millan A, Young S, Damio G, Pérez-Escamilla R. Breastfeeding education and support trial for overweight and obese women: A randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2013; 131(1):e162-70.
- Chapman DJ, Pérez-Escamilla R. Acculturative type is associated with breastfeeding duration among low-income Latinas. Matern Child Nutr. 2013; 9:188-198.
- Chapman DJ, Pérez-Escamilla R. Breastfeeding among minority women: Moving from risk factors to interventions. Adv Nutr. 2012; 3:95-104.
- Chapman DJ, Morel K, Anderson AK, Damio G, Pérez-Escamilla R. Breastfeeding peer counseling: from efficacy through scale-up. J Hum Lact. 2010; 26:314-26.
- Chapman DJ, Pérez-Escamilla R. US National Breastfeeding Monitoring and Surveillance: Current Status and Recommendations. J Hum Lact. 2009; 25: 139-150.