- (413) 748-3251
Wellness & Recreation Complex
Joel Dearing has served in many roles before he joined the Springfield College faculty in 1989. From 1982-89, Dearing spent time as the director of athletics, associate director of athletics, and assistant director of athletics for Roger Williams University. He also coached men's and women's collegiate volleyball at Springfield College and Roger Williams, spanning from 1981-2010. He is the owner and director of Dearing Volleyball School, Inc., which he's been running since 1984, and the author of Volleyball Fundamentals and The Untold Story of William G. Morgan - Inventor of Volleyball.
- Selection and formal training of team captains
- Leadership training
- Leadership styles
- Coaching effectiveness
- Finance In Athletics
- Design, Operations, and Maintenance In Athletics
- Supervision and Mentoring
- Sports Medicine for Athletic Administrators
- Graduate Field Experience
Certifications and Memberships
- USA Volleyball Association, Coaching Accreditation Program CADRE, National Faculty, 1994-present
- International Volleyball Hall of Fame, Board of Directors/Honorary Board of Directors, 1990-present
- American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Level III certified
- Professional Association of Volleyball Officials (PAVO) State Certification
- CPR and Advanced First Aid
- Keynote Speaker at the Inaugural NCAA Div. III Men’s Volleyball National Championship Banquet, Springfield, MA. (April, 2012).
- Preparing a Team for an International Trip. Panelist presentation at the annual convention of the American Volleyball Coaches Association, Richmond, VA. (Dec, 2000).
- Volleyball Association of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, 3/00, Directed multiple school and club based clinics with all members of the Springfield College Women’s Volleyball coaching staff and team members participating in the instructional sessions throughout the week.
- Murray, M., Dearing, J., & Schwartz, D. (1998, April). Attention: At Ease. Presentation at the annual meeting of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Boston, MA.
- Volleyball Association of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, 3/98, Presented a series of coaching and player clinics.
- Sports Ambassador Clinician, Argentina, 8/97, As part of a sports missionary trip, conducted multiple player clinics in Buenos Aires.
- International Exchange Professor, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China, 5/97, Collaborated with women’s volleyball coaches at Sun Yat-Sen University and directed practice sessions with university athletes.
- Volleyball Association of Aruba, 1/95, Directed multiple school based clinics with all members of the Springfield College Women’s & Men’s Volleyball Coaching Staff and team members participating in the instructional sessions throughout the week as part of the Springfield College Centennial Celebration of Volleyball.
- Volleyball Association of Bermuda, 6/90, Directed a series of instructional player and coaching clinics.
- Volleyball Association of Ireland, 1/87, Directed multiple school and club based clinics with members of the Roger Williams University Women’s and Men’s Volleyball Coaching Staff and team members participating in the instructional sessions throughout the week.