- (413) 748-3469
Wellness & Recreation Complex
Borland has taught sport management courses for the past 15 years at three different colleges and has published two editions of a sport leadership book. Before earning a PhD in sport management with a concentration in sociology, he was in journalism for nine years, working as a copy editor at three different newspapers.
- Social justice
- Race and gender in sport
- Media and communication
- Diversity in college athletics
- Organizational and interpersonal communication
- Personal branding
- Communication in Sport Management
- Sport Management Seminar
- Venue and Personnel Management in Sport
Conferences and Presentations
- Borland, J.F. Resonating with Business Audiences through Creative Communication. Presented at the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) Conference. Jacksonville, FL. February 2018.
- Tucker, D.L. Borland, J.F., Spinda, J., Hartman, K.L., & Randall-Griffiths, D. Casing sport communication. Presented at the International Association for Communication and Sport Summit 2016. Grand Rapids, MI. March 2016.
- Borland, J.F., Dane-Staples, E., Mather, M., Kane, G.,& Gentile, D. Sharing knowledge and celebrating achievements at teaching institutions with sport management programs. Workshop presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 2015.
- Welty-Peachey & Borland, J.F. Planning for spontaneity: Achieving communitas at a sport-for-development event. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference. Austin, TX. June 2013.
- Bruening, J.E., Clark, B. & Borland, J.F. Opportunities to engage: Female student-athletes reflect on mentors, mentoring, and community involvement. Presented at The Muhammad Ali Center Athletes and Social Change Forum. Louisville, KY. March 2013.
- Borland, J.F., & Cho, S. (2019). Leadership and Motivation. In L.J. Burton, G.M. Kane, & J.F. Borland (Eds.), Sport leadership in the 21st century (2nd ed). Boston: Jones and Bartlett.
- Burton, L.J., Kane, G.M., & Borland, J.F. (2nd ed.) (2019). Sport leadership in the 21st century, second edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett.
- Borland, J.F. (2018). A League on Its Own: Major League Soccer’s Decision to Ignore Calls to Move to a European Model. Accepted by Sage Business Cases in January 2018.
- Borland, J.F. (2016). History or hubris? A college golf program reaches a crossroads. In D.L. Tucker & J.S. Wrench (Eds.), Casing sport communication. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Welty-Peachey, J. Borland, J.F., Cohen, A., & Lobpries, J. (2015). Leveraging social capital at a sport-for-development event. Sport Management Review, 18(1), 86-98.
- Borland, J.F., Kane, G.M., & Burton, L.J. (1st ed.) (2014). Sport leadership in the 21st century. Boston: Jones and Bartlett.
- Borland, J.F., & Cho, S. (2014). Positioning the organization through branding. In J.F. Borland, G.M. Kane, & L.J. Burton (Eds.), Sport leadership in the 21st century. Boston: Jones and Bartlett.
- Welty Peachey, J., Cohen, A., Borland, J.F., & Lyras, A. (2013). Exploring the initial motivations of individuals to volunteer with a sport-for-homeless initiative. International Journal of Sport Management, 14(1), 103-122.
- Welty-Peachey, J., Borland, J.F., Cohen, A., & Lyras, A. (2013). Street Soccer USA Cup: Preliminary findings of a sport-for-homeless intervention. ICHPER-SD Journal of Research, 8(1), 3-11.
- Welty-Peachey, J., Cohen, A., Borland, J.F., & Lyras, A. (2013). Building social capital: Examining the impact of Street Soccer USA on its volunteers. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 48(1), 20-37.