Professor of Chemistry / Chair of Department of Biology/Chemistry
- (413) 748-3382
Schoo-Bemis Science Center
- Science self-efficacy and attitudes toward science
- Science misconceptions
- General Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Survey of Chemistry
Certifications and Memberships
- American Chemical Society
- American Association of Chemistry Teachers
- New England Association of Chemistry Teachers
- 2016 Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, program chair
- Schwenz, R., Smist, J., Miller, M (August 2015). The 2016 Conference on Chemical Education Part 2. Poster presented at the 250th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Boston, MA.
- Schwenz, R., Miller, M, Smist, J. (March 2015). The 2016 Conference on Chemical Education Part 1. Poster presented at the 249th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Denver, CO.
- Smist, J. (August, 2014). Teaching non-science majors: Challenges and Rewards. Paper presented at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Grand Valley State University, MI.
- Torre, F. & Smist, J. (March, 2014). Why flip now after forty years of successfully teaching general chemistry? Paper presented at the 247th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Dallas, TX.
- Barkman, R, Smist, J & St. Amand, R. (October, 2011). The world is (not) flat: A professional development model to identify and change science misconceptions. Paper presented at NSTA Regional meeting in Hartford, CT.
- Torre, F. & Smist, J. (August, 2011). From outmoded to modern chemical laboratories in one year. Paper presented at the 242nd meeting of the American Chemical Society, Denver, CO.
- Lojewski, Z., Barkman, R., Polito, P., Smist, J (April, 2011). Misconceptions in physical science at the middle school grades. Paper presented at the New England section of the American Association of Physics Teachers annual meeting in Lowell, MA.