- (413) 748-3763
Athletic Training and Exercise Science Facilities
Mary Barnum’s tenure as an athletic training educator spans 30 years and has allowed her to collaborate with many excellent researchers and educators. Barnum has 14 years of experience as a clinical education coordinator and 16 years as a program director, serving as a preceptor throughout. Barnum has had the pleasure of teaching and mentoring more than 600 future athletic trainers. She has served as chair of the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) Professional Education Committee, as a member of the NATA Executive Council for Education, as well as multimedia, scholarship, and grants committees. She has also served as a contributor, reviewer, and/or section editor for several athletic training journals. Barnum was a significant contributor to the Clinical Education White Paper Series as well as the Master Preceptor Development Program. She is co-creator of the Supervision, Questioning, and Feedback Model for Clinical Supervision and Teaching. The majority of Barnum’s scholarly work centers on providing feedback to assist students in developing the critical thinking skills needed to make sound clinical decisions.
- Introduction to Athletic Training
- Orthopedic Assessment and Diagnosis of Injuries to the Lower Extremity
- Orthopedic Assessment and Diagnosis of Injuries to the Hip, Spine and Upper Extremities
- Human Anatomy Lab
- Senior Seminar in Athletic Training
- Special Topics on Athletic Health Care
Certifications and Membership
- Board Certified Athletic Trainer, Board of Certification, Inc., 1987
- Licensed Athletic Trainer, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Allied Health Professions, 1987
- Clinical Instructor Educator, National Athletic Trainers Association Education Council, June 2003
- Healthcare Provider CPR/AED
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Professional Education Committee, Chair-Master Preceptor Subcommittee, 2012-present
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Professional Education Committee, 2011-present
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Clinical Instructor Educator Seminar Facilitator, 2010-12
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Athletic Training Educator’s Conference Programming Committee, 2010-13
- National Athletic Trainers' Association/Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association Research and Education Foundation Scholarship Committee-District I, 2010-13
- National Athletic Trainers' Association/Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association-Multimedia Educational Committee-District I Representative, 2005-08
- Athletic Trainers’ of Massachusetts-Scholarship and Awards Committee-Western Massachusetts Representative, 2006-13; Chair-2013-present
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Athletic Therapy Today, 2007-11
- Reviewer, Journal of Athletic Training Education, 2007-present
- Reviewer, International Journal of Athletic Therapy Today, 2006-present
- Reviewer, Journal of Athletic Training, 2005-present
- Boston Marathon Volunteer: Medical Volunteer, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Massachusetts Baystate Senior Games Competition, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Barnum, M. (2022). It Takes a Village: Raising Athletic Training Students and Future Athletic Training Educators. Invited Keynote Speaker: Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Educators’ Summit. January 7-9, 2022.
- Barnum, M. (2018). Providing Feedback to Enhance Student Learning: Part 1 and Part 2. Invited Speaker: Rocky Mountain University of Health Care Professionals Faculty Development Webinar. September 10th, 2018. Provo, Utah
- Barnum, M. (2018). Strategies for Providing Meaningful Feedback to Doctoral Level Students in On-Line and Real Time Learning Opportunities. Invited Speaker: Rocky Mountain University of Health Care Professionals Faculty Development Workshop. August 10th, 2018. Provo, Utah
- Barnum, M. Guyer, S. (2013). SQF Model for Clinical Teaching: Key Note and Breakout. Invited speaker: The Teaching Conference. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, OH.
- Barnum M. Henning J. Sexton P. (2012). Supervised Autonomy, SQF Clinical Teaching Model and One Minute Preceptor. 63rd National Athletic Trainers Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposia. St. Louis, MO
- Barnum, M. Guyer, S. (2011). Concussion Update: From the field to the Emergency Department. Grand Rounds-Baystate Medical Department, Springfield, MA
- Barnum M. Carr D. (2011). Clinical Instructor Educator Workshop. Professional Education Committee-62nd National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposia. New Orleans, LA
- Guyer S. Barnum M. Dodge T. et al. New tools for the ACI toolbox.63rd Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Clinical Symposium and Meeting (2011). Philadelphia Pa.
- Barnum M (2007). Providing Feedback on Written Assignments. 2007 Educators’ Summit. College of Mount St. Joseph. Cincinnati, OH.
- Barnum M, Guyer S (2007). Utilizing Strategic Questioning in Clinical Experiences: A Module for ACI Training Workshops. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Educators’ Conference, Workshop Presentation. Dallas, Tx
- Guyer S. Barnum M (2007). Facilitating Critical Thinking Skills in Athletic Training Students. 59th Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Clinical Symposium and Meeting. Boston, MA.
- Barnum M, Guyer S (2006). Strategic Questioning Skills for Clinical Instructors. 2006 Educators’ Summit, College of Mount St. Joseph, Cincinnati, OH.
- Barnum M, Guyer S, Levy L., (2006) A Practical Approach to Clinical Instruction Workshop 58th Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers Association Annual Meeting
- Anderson, MK. Barnum MG. (2021). Foundations of Athletic Training: Prevention, Assessment and Management, 7th ed. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins Inc. Philadelphia PA.
- Dalessio (Procaccini), SJ. Carlino, N. Barnum, MG. Joseph, D. Sovak, MM. (2021) "A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of the Supervision-Questioning-Feedback Model of Supervision on Stimulating Critical Thinking in Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Students," Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders: Vol. 5: Iss. 1, Article 5. Available at: https://ir.library.illinoisstate.edu/tlcsd/vol5/iss1/5
- Szlosek, PA. Guyer, MS. Barnum, MG. Mullin, EM. (2020) Exploring the Factors of Professional Readiness in Athletic Training, Quest, DOI: 10.1080/00336297.2020.1715806
- Gourlay L. Barnum M. Athletic Health Care and Recognizing Psychological Disorders: Part II-Management and Referral. Athl Thpy Tdy; 2011;16(3):13-18.
- Gourlay L. Barnum M. Athletic Health Care and Recognizing Psychological Disorders: Part I-Overview. Athl Thpy Tdy: 2010;15(6):15-18.
- Barnum M. Guyer S. Levy L. Graham C. “Supervision, Questioning, Feedback Model of Clinical Teaching: A Practical Approach” in Wiedner T. (ed) The Athletic Trainers’ Pocket Guide to Clinical Teaching (2009). SLACK, Inc: Thoroughfare NJ.
- Barnum M. Guyer S. Levy L. Willeford S. Sexton P. Gardner G. Fincher L. Questioning and Feedback in Clinical Athletic Training Education. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:23-27.
- Willeford S. Fincher L. Barnum M. Gardner G. Guyer S. Levy L. Sexton P. Improving Clinical Education Through Proper Supervision. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:6-7.
- Levy L. Sexton P. Willeford S. Barnum M. Guyer S. Gardner G. Fincher L. Clinical Instructor Characteristics, Behaviors, and Skills in Allied Health Care Settings: A Literature Review. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:8-13.
- Levy L. Gardner G. Barnum M. Willeford S. Sexton P. Guyer S. Fincher L. Situational Supervision for Athletic Training Clinical Education. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:19-22.
- Gardner G. Sexton P. Guyer S. Levy L. Willeford S. Barnum M. Fincher L. Clinical Instruction for Professional Practice. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:28-31.
- Barnum M. Graham C. Techniques for Providing Feedback to Students on Written Assignments. Athl Thpy Tdy: 2008:13(5).2-5.
- Barnum M. Questioning skills demonstrated by Approved Clinical Instructors during field experiences. J Athl Train. 2008 May–Jun; 43(3): 284–292
- Barnum M. (2005) Dissertation: Understanding Clinical Instructional Strategies in Athletic Training. University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst MA.