Assistant Professor of Biology
- (413) 748-3235
Schoo-Bemis Science Center
- Physiological ecology
- Investigations of fuel metabolism in fasting marine mammals
- Physiological costs of reproduction in songbirds
- Foraging and social behavior in seals, sea lions, and songbirds
- Anatomy and Physiology Concepts
- Animal Biology
- Introduction to Biology
- San Jose Mercury; 'Exciting' find on seals. published Jan 2016
- Santa Cruz Sentinal; Scientists study fat burn in elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park, published Jan 2016.
- Invited speaker, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey, BC. ‘From Seals to Songbirds: Comparative Metabolic Physiology’. July 2014.
- Les Ecologiste Seminar Series invited presentation, Simon Fraser University. Oral presentation: ‘From Seals to Songbirds: A Story of Comparative Physiology’. October 2013.
- Fowler, M; Debier, C; Champagne, CD, Crocker, DE, Costa, DP. (2016) The demands of lactation promote differential regulation of lipid stores in fasting elephant seals. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 225:125-132. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2015.09.024
- Fowler, M; Williams, TD. (2015) Individual variability in parental workload and breeding productivity: is the payoff worth it? Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. 5(17): 3583-3599. doi:10.1002/ece3.1625
- Fowler, M; Kraemer, R; Shen, W-J; Crocker, DE, Costa, DP (2015) Hormone sensitive lipase and adipose triglyceride lipase in fasting and lactating northern elephant seals. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. 88(3):284-294. doi: 10.1086/680079.
- Williams, TD, Fowler, M. (2015) Individual variation in workload during parental care: can we detect a physiological signature of quality or cost of reproduction? Journal of Ornithology.1:11.doi: 10.1007/s10336-015-1213-6.
- Williams, TD; Bourgeon, S; Cornell, A; Ferguson, L; Fowler, M, Fronstin, RB; Love, OP. (2014) Mid-winter temperatures, not spring temperatures, predicts breeding phenology in the European starling Sturnus vulgaris. Royal Society Open Science. 2(140301)
- Crocker, DE; Champagne, CD; Fowler, MA; Houser, DS. (2014) Adiposity and fat metabolism in lactating and fasting northern elephant seals. Advances in Nutrition. 5:57-64.
- Crocker, DE; Fowler, MA; Champagne, CD; Vanderlugt, AL; Houser, DS. (2014) Metabolic response to a glucagon challenge varies with adiposity and life-history stage in fasting northern elephant seals. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 195 (99-106)
- Fowler, M; Debier, C; Crocker, DE; Costa, DP. (2013) Fatty acid mobilization and comparison to milk fatty acid content in northern elephant seals. Journal of Comparative Physiology Part B. 184(1): 125-135. DOI 10.1007/s00360-013-0787-7