- (413) 748-3482
Sofija Zagarins’ educational and professional background is in epidemiology and biostatistics, and her primary research interests are related to overall diet quality and disease prevention. Prior to coming to Springfield College in 2015, Zagarins worked in clinical research and has over 16 years of professional health research experience in a range of settings, including in biochemical research labs, animal research labs, epidemiology departments in academic and hospital settings, as well as in large clinical and pharmaceutical trials. Zagarins currently is working on research aimed at quantifying overall dietary micronutrient status, and on determining the association between this status and a range of health outcomes.
- Nutrient sufficiency, micronutrient status, and overall diet quality
- Body composition
- Chronic disease management and prevention
- Behavioral health
- Introduction to Public Health
- Concepts of Assessment and Intervention in Health Care
- Special Topics in Health Science – Nutrition in Public Health
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Senior Seminar in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Certifications and Memberships
- Faculty Member, Center for Research and Education in Women’s Health
- Certified Clinical Research Professional, conferred by the Society of Clinical Research Associates
- Member, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Zagarins SE, Pollard NE, Garb JL, Allen NA, Skinner SS, Copeland PM. Patterns of A1c change following weight loss surgery in patients with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. Diabetes 2013. 2116-P.
- Copeland PM, Zagarins SE, Kansagra A, Skinner SS. Gastric bypass surgery: Partial rebound of weight and binge eating from 2 to 5 years. Eating Disorders Research Society 2013.
- Houghton SC, Whitcomb BW, Ronnenberg AG, Nobles C, Zagarins SE, Takashima-Uebelhoer BB, Bertone-Johnson ER. Age at menarche and inflammatory factor levels in young adulthood. Society for Epidemiologic Research 2014. 179(Suppl 11).
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Stamp KD, Feinberg RG, Welch G. How to develop a theory-based intervention. Communicating Nursing Research Conference 2016.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Welch G. Assessment of Social Distress in Primary Care Among Latino Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science 2016 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research.
- Thomas T, Rockwell G, Polansky S, Zagarins SE, Knee A, Zeneski B, Rothstein R. The Association Between Total Parenteral Nutrition Osmolarity Infused Through Non-Central Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters (PICCs) and Complications in NICU Newborns. Eastern Society for Pediatric Research: ESPR Annual Meeting 2017.
- Zagarins SE, Allen NA, Garb JL, Welch G. Improvement in Glycemic Control Following a Diabetes Education Intervention is Associated with Change in Diabetes Distress but Not Change in Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2012;35:299-304.
- Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG, Gehlbach SH, Lin R, Bertone-Johnson ER. Are existing measures of overall diet quality associated with peak bone mass in young premenopausal women? Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012;25:172-9.
- Hasan FM, Zagarins SE, Pischke KM, Saiyed S, Bettencourt AM, Beal L, Macys D, McCleary N. Hypnotherapy is an Effective Aid for Smoking Cessation in Patients Hospitalized for a Cardiopulmonary Illness: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Complement Ther Med. 2014 Feb;22(1):1-8.
- Bertone-Johnson ER, Ronnenberg AG, Houghton SA, Nobles C, Zagarins SE, Takashima-Uebelhoer BB, Whitcomb BW. Association of inflammatory markers with menstrual symptoms and premenstrual syndrome in young adult women. Human Reproduction. 2014 Sep;29(9):1987-94.
- Welch G, Zagarins SE, Santiago-Kelly P, Rodriquez Z, Bursell SE, Rosal MC, Gabbay RA. An internet-based diabetes management platform improves team care and outcomes in an urban Latino population. Diabetes Care. 2015 Apr;38(4):561-7.
- Welch G, Balder A, Zagarins SE. Telehealth program for Type 2 Diabetes: Usability, satisfaction, and clinical usefulness in an urban community health center. Telemed J E Health. 2015 May;21(5):395-403.
- Bertone-Johnson ER, Houghton SC, Whitcomb BW, Sievert LL, Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG. Association of blood pressure with premenstrual syndrome in young adult women. Journal of Women’s Health. 2016 Nov;25(11):1122-1128.
- Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Ronnenberg AG, Zagarins SE, Houghton SC, Takashima-Uebelhoer BB, Bertone-Johnson ER. Recreational physical activity and premenstrual syndrome in young adult women: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2017 Jan 12;12(1):e0169728.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Feinberg RG, Welch G. Treating psychological insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Journal of Clinical and Translational Endocrinology. 2017 Mar;7.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Welch G. Reducing social distress for chronic disease patients in primary care: An intervention for Latino Type 2 diabetes patients seen at community health centers. Diabetes Spectrum. 2017 Sept; ds160031.