Sofija Zagarins’ educational and professional background is in epidemiology and biostatistics, and her primary research interests are related to overall diet quality and disease prevention. Zagarins has more than 20 years of professional health research experience, and has worked in biochemical research labs and in academic and hospital settings, managed large behavioral and pharmaceutical clinical trials, and has collaborated on grant development and manuscript preparation for a range of health-related research projects. Zagarins is currently involved with research aimed at quantifying overall diet and determining how overall diet quality affects a range of health outcomes, including bone density, body composition, and birth outcomes.
- Nutrient sufficiency and micronutrient status
- Overall diet quality
- Body composition
- Disease prevention and management
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Health Assessment
- Special Topics in Health Science – Nutrition in Public Health
- Evidence-Based Healthcare
- Research Practicum in Health Science
Certifications and Memberships
- Faculty Member, Center for Research and Education in Women’s Health
- Certified Clinical Research Professional, conferred by the Society of Clinical Research Associates
- Member, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Zagarins SE, Harvey MW, Tucker KL, Marcus B, Rosal M, Moore Simas TA, Manson JE, Markenson G, Chasan-Taber L. The association between established diet quality indices and gestational weight gain in Hispanic women. Annual Meetings of the Society for Epidemiologic Research and the Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, 2021, San Diego.
- Harvey MW, Zagarins SE, Marcus B, Rosal M, Pekow P, Manson JE, Tucker KL, Moore Simas TA, Markenson G, Chasan-Taber L. The association between diet quality indices and gestational age and birth weight among Latinas. Annual Meetings of the Society for Epidemiologic Research and the Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, 2021, San Diego.
- Zagarins SE, Miele E, Germain MJ, Joubert JW, Evans EE, Milch CM, Headley SAE. Measures of exercise capacity as predictors of metabolic outcomes in moderate to severe chronic kidney disease. Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiologic Research, 2020, Boston.
- Zagarins SE, Harvey MW, Higgins PS, Krylowicz B. Athletic participation and self- identity are associated with improved mental health outcomes in undergraduate students. Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiologic Research, 2019, Minneapolis.
- Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG, Bertone-Johnson ER. Measures of overall diet as predictors of body fat percentage and BMI in young adult women. Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiologic Research, 2018, Baltimore.
- Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG, Bertone-Johnson ER. A dietary micronutrient status score predicts body composition in young adult women. Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiologic Research, 2018, Baltimore.
- Thomas T, Rockwell G, Polansky S, Zagarins SE, Knee A, Zeneski B, Rothstein R. The Association Between Total Parenteral Nutrition Osmolarity Infused Through Non-Central Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters (PICCs) and Complications in NICU Newborns. Annual Meeting of the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research, 2017, Philadelphia.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Welch G. Assessment of Social Distress in Primary Care Among Latino Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research, 2016.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Stamp KD, Feinberg RG, Welch G. How to develop a theory- based intervention. Communicating Nursing Research Conference, 2016.
- Zagarins SE, Pollard NE, Garb JL, Allen NA, Skinner SS, Copeland PM. Patterns of A1c change following weight loss surgery in patients with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. Annual Meeting of the American Diabetes Association, 2013, Chicago.
- Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG, Bertone-Johnson ER. Established diet quality indices are not universally associated with body composition in young adult women. Public Health Nutrition. 2021 Apr. doi:10.1017/S1368980021001440.
- Natarajan R, Bertone-Johnson E, Houghton SC, Zagarins SE, Bigelow C, Wood R, Ronnenberg A. Menstrual cycle characteristics are associated with adiposity in young women. In: Bertone-Johnson E, ed. Cursed? Biologic and Cultural Aspects of the Menstrual Cycle and Menstruation. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers Inc., 2018. pg. 91-118.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Welch G. Reducing social distress for chronic disease patients in primary care: An intervention for Latino Type 2 diabetes patients seen at community health centers. Diabetes Spectrum. 2017 Nov; 30(4): 288-296.
- Allen NA, Zagarins SE, Feinberg RG, Welch G. Treating psychological insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Journal of Clinical and Translational Endocrinology. 2017 Mar 7; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcte.2016.11.005
- Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Ronnenberg AG, Zagarins SE, Houghton SC, Takashima-Uebelhoer BB, Bertone-Johnson ER. Recreational physical activity and premenstrual syndrome in young adult women: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2017 Jan 12;12(1):e0169728.
- Bertone-Johnson ER, Houghton SC, Whitcomb BW, Sievert LL, Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG. Association of blood pressure with premenstrual syndrome in young adult women. Journal of Women’s Health. 2016 Nov;25(11):1122-1128.
- Welch G, Zagarins SE, Santiago-Kelly P, Rodriquez Z, Bursell SE, Rosal MC, Gabbay RA. An internet-based diabetes management platform improves team care and outcomes in an urban Latino population. Diabetes Care. 2015 Apr;38(4):561-7.
- Hasan FM, Zagarins SE, Pischke KM, Saiyed S, Bettencourt AM, Beal L, Macys D, McCleary N. Hypnotherapy is an Effective Aid for Smoking Cessation in Patients Hospitalized for a Cardiopulmonary Illness: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Complement Ther Med. 2014 Feb;22(1):1-8.
- Zagarins SE, Ronnenberg AG, Gehlbach SH, Lin R, Bertone-Johnson ER. Are existing measures of overall diet quality associated with peak bone mass in young premenopausal women? Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012;25:172-9.
- Zagarins SE, Allen NA, Garb JL, Welch G. Improvement in Glycemic Control Following a Diabetes Education Intervention is Associated with Change in Diabetes Distress but Not Change in Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2012; 35:299-304.