|Books and DVDs||28 days / 2 renewals||28 days / 2 renewals||28 days / 2 renewals||28 days / 2 renewals|
|Books from Other Libraries||2-4 weeks (incl. shipping)||2-4 weeks (incl. shipping)||2-4 weeks (incl. shipping)||N/A|
|Faculty Reserve Items**||1, 3, or 7 days; or 3-hour in-library use only||1, 3, or 7 days; or 3-hour in-library use only||1, 3, or 7 days; or 3-hour in-library use only||N/A|
*Note: Guest patrons may only check out two videos and/or DVDs at one time.
**Note: Students, faculty, and staff may only check out two reserve items at one time to ensure equitable access to course materials.
Springfield College students, faculty, and staff have borrowing privileges. An SC ID is required to check out items.
Alumni and guests can register for borrowing privileges at the library Information Desk. More information about eligible guest borrowers can be found on our guest access page. Alumni and guests may only check out material physically located at the library.
Springfield College students, faculty, and staff may renew SC-owned items online, via Ask the Library, by phone, or in person. Overdue items may not be renewed online.
Guests and alumni may renew items by phone or in person.
Items that have been placed on hold by another patron and reserve items may not be renewed and must be returned to the library.
If you find an item you want in library search, and the library owns it, we can hold it for you. You will be notified by email when the item is available for pick-up. Once notified that the item is available, the item will be held for you for 7 days.
To place a hold:
- Students, faculty, and staff at the Springfield campus can click the Place Hold button in library search to sign in and request the hold.
- Students, faculty, and staff at the regional and online campuses, and those working and studying remotely can click the Request Item button in library search and the items will be delivered to them.
- Guests and alumni registered for borrowing privileges may place holds by phone or in person.
When an item is not returned by its due date, it is considered overdue. If overdue items are kept over one borrowing period past their due dates, the borrower's account will be blocked.
For example, if an item with a 28-day loan period is borrowed on March 1st, it will be due by March 29th. After March 29th the item becomes overdue. If the item is not renewed or returned by April 26th (28 days after March 29th) the borrower's account will be blocked.
Blocked accounts may not check out or renew items, submit requests for items, or place holds on items. They may check out library-only reserve items.
Blocks expire after 28 days but may be removed sooner by returning the item.
Borrowers are responsible for paying the replacement costs of lost or damaged items borrowed from other libraries using Interlibrary Loan.
Billing charges will reflect the actual cost for replacing the item(s) whenever possible. If the actual cost cannot be determined, items will be billed at the default rate of $100.
Refunds for replacement charges on items from other libraries will be given at the discretion of the lending library for a period of 60 days after billing.
Faculty may request an extended borrowing period when they check a video out. Any extension is at the discretion of Library staff.
Faculty may request an advance booking on any video to reserve it for a particular class time. Faculty must submit their request 10 days before the video is needed.
Springfield Campus Faculty: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos will be held at the Library's Information Desk.
Regional and Online Campus Faculty: Contact email@example.com. Videos will be shipped to your campus before the requested date.
Notes on Advance Booking:
- First Come/First Served: Multiple faculty members wishing to borrow the same video will have their requests processed in the order in which their requests have been received by the Public Services staff.
- Privacy: Confidentiality is maintained, even if the faculty members are from the same department or the student is in the faculty member's class. Public Services staff shall act as intermediary between the borrower and the requester.
- Recalls: The recall of a video will be initiated only after the current borrower has completed their full 7-day borrowing period, or if the video is overdue. Public Services staff shall act as intermediary between the borrower and the requester in negotiating the return of the requested item.