Any visitors to the Learning Commons that are not current Springfield College students, faculty, or staff are considered guests. This includes Springfield College alumni, retired Springfield College faculty and staff, and members of our community.
Guests are welcome to use the 1st & 2nd floors of the Learning Commons seven days a week from 8 am to 6 pm. The top two floors of the Learning Commons are reserved for Springfield College students, faculty and staff only.
After 6 pm the Learning Commons is only open to Springfield College students, faculty and staff.
Check the library hours, or call the Information Desk at 413-748-3315 to see when we're open.
At the request of the Springfield Public School Department, high school students will only be allowed to use the library after 3:00 pm when Springfield Public Schools are in session.
Computer and Network Access
Guests may freely access the Springfield College WiFi with their own laptops or mobile devices.
While the community is welcome to use the WiFi on the 1st & 2nd floors, the computers on the 2nd floor require a Springfield College log in and are reserved for Springfield College students, faculty and staff. There are no printing or faxing capabilities for library guests.
This pamphlet highlights where computer/printing services can be found elsewhere at Springfield College or at the Springfield City Library.
Resources and Services
The following resources and services are available to library guests:
- Online catalog - Search for books and DVDs. Eligible guest borrowers may check out items in limited quantities.
- Databases - Search for scholarly articles or research a topic (only available in the library).
- Research assistance - Get help with your research needs at the Information Desk, or Ask the Library.
- Interlibrary loan services are not available to library guests. Guests may contact their local public library and ask about Document Delivery services. More information about this service can be found on the Massachusetts Library System website.
Additionally, all Massachusetts residents can obtain a Library eCard from the Boston Public Library which will allow access to all electronic resources licensed by the BPL. For more information and to register for an eCard, visit the Boston Public Library website.
Guests eligible to borrow items from the library include:
- Students attending eligible area universities and colleges (requires valid university/college ID and email address)
- American International College
- Bay Path College
- Elms College
- Holyoke Community College
- Springfield Technical Community College
- Western New England University
- Westfield State University
- Springfield College Alumni (requires driver's license or state ID and email address)
- Springfield City Library patrons (requires Springfield City Library card -AND- MA driver's license or state ID and email address)
- Supervising Practitioners (requires MA driver's license or state ID and email address)
- Springfield College Learning in Later Life members (requires MA driver's license or state ID and email address)
- Residents of Reeds Landing (requires MA driver's license or state ID and email address)
- Retired Springfield College employees - faculty and staff (requires verification from SC Human Resources Office OR a Springfield City Library card, AND an MA driver's license or state ID and email address)
Eligible guests can register for borrowing privileges at the Information Desk. Registration expires (1) one year from the date of issue.
See our Borrowing policy for information about our borrowing policies.