Students must be accepted into a degree program before eligibility is determined. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.

To receive federal student aid offered through Springfield College, you must meet all of the following criteria.

Meet satisfactory academic progress.

  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  • Comply with the Selective Service Registration, if required. Female students who leave gender blank on the FAFSA will be asked to confirm registration
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Demonstrate financial need, except for some loan programs.
  • Be accepted by admissions, enrolled, and working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.

Criminal Record and Ineligibility

The law suspends aid eligibility for students convicted under federal or state law of sale or possession of illegal drugs while they are receiving federal student aid. The period of ineligibility varies and depends on whether the conviction was for sale or possession, and whether the student had previous offenses. The student regains eligibility when the period of suspension ends, or in some cases, only when the student completes an acceptable drug rehabilitation program.

If you have a conviction or convictions for these offenses, call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) to find out how, or if, this law applies to you. Even if you're ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA and answer Question 33 because schools use this information in awarding non-federal aid. If you leave Question 33 of the FAFSA blank, you will automatically become ineligible for federal student aid. Incarcerated persons have limited eligibility for federal student aid. An incarcerated person is eligible for a Federal Pell Grant only if he or she is incarcerated in a non-federal or non-state penal institution, such as a local or county jail.

When you apply for federal student aid, the U.S. Department of Education verifies some of your information with the following federal agencies.