Enrollment Eligibility

Undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least six credits each term to receive loans, and must be enrolled full time (at least 12 credits) to receive college grant (if otherwise eligible). Pell grant is determined by federal eligibility and amounts will vary at full time (12 or more credits), 3/4 time (nine to 11 credits), half time (six to eight credits), and less than half time enrollment (less than six credits).

Graduate students must be enrolled for at least 6 credits to receive loans. Full time is nine credits or more, 3/4 time is seven to eight credits, and half time is five to six credits.

Financial Aid decisions are typically based on full time enrollment. If a student plans to enroll on a part time basis or will not attend all three terms during the academic year, financial aid eligibility may change. Please do not make assumptions about eligibility for assistance. Contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to any enrollment changes to determine if there will be an adjustment to the financial aid award.

Leave of Absence

Students who wish to take a leave of absence for a term need the approval of their academic advisor and should complete a Leave of Absence Form. The form can be picked up at the Office of Student Services at each campus. If, after one year, a student has not re-enrolled, the student will be withdrawn from the College as of the date he/she terminated academic study. All monies due to the College must be paid in full prior to the College considering the student's request for approval of a leave of absence.

Program Withdrawal

Students must fill out the Complete Withdrawal Form. If the student sends the form by mail, he/she should send it Return Receipt Requested/Certified Mail to his/her instructional campus. If a student hand delivers the form, he/she should get a receipt from any School of Human Services personnel. All monies due to the College must be paid in full prior to the College considering the student's request for approval of a withdrawal.

Institution Tuition Refund Policy

The institution's tuition refund policy for students provides that if a student's written request for dropping a class(es) or total withdrawal from the institution is received by the 15th of the second month of each term, the student will receive a 100 percent tuition refund.

If a student's written request is received from the 16th calendar day of the second month until the last day of the second month in each term, provided that the withdrawal or leave of absence is granted, the student will receive a 50 percent tuition refund.

If a student's written request is received after the last day of the second month, the student will be held responsible for the total amount of tuition.

Note: The same schedule applies to dropped single courses.

Deadlines for 100 percent credit:

  • October 15 for Fall Term
  • February 15 for Spring Term
  • June 15 for Summer Term

Deadlines for 50 percent credit:

  • October 16-31 for Fall Term
  • February 16-28 for Spring Term
  • June 16-30 for Summer Term

Federal Financial Aid Refund Policy

When a student withdraws during a term, the amount of federal student financial aid that they have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If the student received (or Springfield College or a parent received on their behalf) less assistance than the amount that the student earned, the student may be able to receive those additional funds. If the student received more assistance than they earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or the student.

The amount of assistance that the student has earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completed 30 percent of their period of enrollment, they would earn 30 percent of the assistance they were originally scheduled to receive. Once a student has completed more than 60 percent of the period of enrollment, the student earns all the assistance that they were scheduled to receive.

There are some financial aid funds that the student cannot earn once they withdraw because they do not meet other eligibility requirements, even if a student was scheduled to receive them. The student will be notified of any changes in their eligibility after review by the Office of Financial Aid

Explore the School of Professional and Continuing Studies