The Campus Guide includes essential information for students attending this campus, such as academic support services, ID cards, class cancellation information, and a resource for restaurants and hotels in the area.

Greetings! I would like to take this opportunity to extend my personal welcome to you as a student at Springfield College Boston.

At the Boston campus you are treated with respect for your life, work, family, and community and life experiences. The sharing of these experiences with your fellow students and faculty increases total awareness and critical thinking which is the key to our program’s success. Open, ongoing, and authentic dialogue is the foundation of our educational approach.

The willingness to assist you in succeeding with your educational endeavors is sincerely shared by all the faculty and staff at Springfield College Boston. We look forward to providing the very best learning environment for you throughout your Springfield College experience.

Again, welcome.

David Renza, MA
Interim Campus Director

Student Support

Academic Support Services

Springfield College Boston has an Academic Success Center that offers readily and easily accessible services. The Center is a resource for students and instructors alike and focuses on writing support services, resource support services, research skills, and developing sustainable study skills. Reference tools connect directly to information, materials, and resources for writing, APA, organization, analysis, critical thinking, reflection/reaction essays, public speaking, and study tips.

All services are coordinated with the assistance of a resource specialist and focus on the development of sustainable skills to help students become independent learners.

The support services are available on a drop-in basis during regular campus hours, class hours of operation or by appointment. A student may self-elect to seek assistance or follow through on a recommendation.

We strongly encourage students to take advantage of the Academic Success Center services by contacting Teisha Twomey at (617) 242-3361, ext. 229, to set up an appointment or learn more about these services and free reference tools.

Services for Students with Disabilities

Students with documented physical, learning, or psychological disabilities may be eligible for reasonable academic accommodations to help them succeed in their academic program. It is the student’s responsibility to make a request for such accommodations and to provide appropriate documentation administered by a qualified professional such as psychologists, medical doctors, or agencies specializing in the diagnosis of such disabilities. Students must submit current documentation. If you have questions about services for students with disabilities, please contact Venatia Gilmer Jones at (617) 242-3361, ext. 226,

Please visit here for complete information.

Technology Support Services

For assistance in all areas related to technology (gmail, Moodle, PrideNet), please contact Venatia Gilmer-Jones at (617) 242-3361, ext. 226,, or Shakowa Neal at (617) 242-3361, ext. 227,

Class Cancellations, Delays, Closing

Notification of campus class cancellation, openings, delays, or closings will be available through PrideNet, College e-mail, or turning to the following stations:

  • WFXT (Fox 25)
  • WBZ-TV (4)
  • WHDH (7 NEWS)

Immunization Requirements

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all incoming students to complete forms regarding immunization and meningococcal disease.

Campus Information

Springfield College Bookstore

Bookstore Hours of Operation:
Monday -Thursday 8 a.m.- 6 p.m., Friday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Monday -Thursday 9 a.m - 4 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.

The bookstore is physically located at the main Springfield College campus at 263 Alden St., Springfield, MA 01109, and can be reached at (413) 748-3596, or online. You can also purchase Springfield College apparel and other items there as well. 

Identification Cards

Students enrolled in Springfield College Boston will be issued a student identification card with an assigned student identification number. This card is used for identification purposes in accessing college buildings and grounds, borrowing material from the Learning Commons, and for attending college sponsored events. The first Springfield College Identification Card is issued to a student at no charge. Replacements for lost or stolen cards will cost $35. Photos for identification cards are taken during the New Student Orientation. If you have questions about obtaining an ID card, please contact Shakowa Neal at (617) 242-3361, ext. 227.

Emergency Information

Safety on Campus

Springfield College and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies is serious about safety at all of our campuses. Please visit here to register for SC Alert and Rave Guardian applications.

Title IX Resources

Boston Campus Resources

For assistance in Title IX related issues, please contact Camille Elliott, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the School of Professional and Continuing Studies at or (413) 748-3978.

For more information on Title IX at Springfield College, please click here.


The access code for entering the building will be given during new student orientation. For the security of the campus and building, this access code is only for students, staff, and faculty of Springfield College Boston.

  • Punch in the code and # key on the wall panel (left of the double glass doors).
  • Push the door in after you hear it click.
  • Parking is free for Springfield College students.
  • Please stop at the Security Booth and announce that you are a Springfield College student.
  • If you are visiting us on the weekday, please let them know how long you will be visiting the campus.
  • Parking spaces marked “Visitor Parking” are for guests of tenants visiting for one hour.
  • If you are going to be more than one hour, you must obtain a DAY PASS and clearly display it on the dashboard of your vehicle.
  • Parking spaces marked “Reserved” or “Visitor Parking” are for authorized users only.
  • During the weekend students may park in any vacant space except those marked Reserved or Visitor Parking.
  • Vehicles may not be parked using more than one parking space. Vehicles may not park outside of the line of the parking space. Vehicles parked using more than one parking space or parked outside of the lines of the parking space will be ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense.
  • Vehicles are prohibited from parking in areas not designated for parking and such areas may or may not have “No Parking” signs posted. Vehicles parked in areas not designated for parking will be ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense.
  • Violators of any of the Flatley Company’s Parking Regulations are subject to being ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense. As a courtesy, the Flatley Company may not ticket violators on their first and second offense, but is under no obligation to do so.


The Constitution Inn
c/o by the YMCA of Greater Boston
150 Third Avenue, Charlestown Navy Yard
Boston, Massachusetts
(617) 241-8400, Fax (617) 241-2856
Reservations/Group Sales (800) 495-9622 or (617) 242-2778

Holiday Inn
30 Washington Street
Somerville, Massachusetts 02143
(617) 628-1000, Fax (617) 776-5238


There are a variety of restaurants, delicatessens, pizza shops and more located near the campus. The Administrative Assistant, Shakowa Neal, maintains the binder of menus located at the front desk.

Academic FAQs

What is the role of my academic advisor?

Think of your academic advisor as your partner in education. Your advisor is responsible for ensuring that you understand the School of Professional and Continuing Studies program and sequencing of courses and for monitoring your academic progress so that all graduation requirements are met. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to ask questions and to keep track of your own progress.

What is a syllabus and what information is usually included in it?

A syllabus is your guide to understanding what is expected in a course. The instructor will give you a syllabus no later than the first class. This document will include contact information for the professor, class and Moodle assignments, grading criteria, and academic policies.

What is a pre-course assignment?

Pre-course assignments are reading, writing, and project activities that are preparation for the first class of the course that you will be taking. You will find the vital information you need prior to your first class in the syllabus. It contains the instructor’s contact information, course objectives, required texts, and the pre-course assignment. The syllabus must be downloaded from the School of Professional and Continuing Studies website. You may be required to submit your pre-course assignment in the learning management system called “Moodle.”

Do I have to complete any academic work between classes?

Yes. Education is continuous and class meetings are just one aspect of the learning process. You are expected to complete all assignments as indicated on the course syllabus and the web-enhanced between-class assignments that incorporate the learning management system called Moodle. This applies for all School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses. These assignments are critical to your academic success. They also enable you to qualify for federal financial aid as a college student taking courses in our accelerated course format. Therefore, you must allocate some of your time between classes for learning activities that might include reading, writing, analyzing, reflecting, interacting with others, research, and interacting online with fellow students and the instructor. Assignments must be completed before each class session so you will be prepared for the classroom learning experience.

What happens if I miss a class?

You are expected to attend all class sessions and workshops for the courses in which you are enrolled. If you must miss all or part of a class session, you must notify the instructor in advance and make arrangements to make up course assignments. If you miss more than one class session, you may withdraw from the course or you may receive an “F” grade for the course depending on when the absences take place.

What happens if I miss a class?

You are expected to attend all class sessions and workshops for the courses in which you are enrolled. If you must miss all or part of a class session, you must notify the instructor in advance and make arrangements to make up course assignments. If you miss more than one class session, you may withdraw from the course or you may receive an “F” grade for the course depending on when the absences take place.

What happens to financial aid when I add/drop a course?

Your eligibility for a grant may be lost or reduced when a course is dropped. In some cases, your eligibility may increase if a course is added. Your eligibility for a loan may also change. Check with the staff person handling financial aid at the campus before making final arrangements to add or drop a course so that you will know the impact, if any, in your specific situation.

How is my financial aid impacted when I take less than a full-time load (12 credits undergraduate, 9 credits graduate)?

Aid is based on full-time enrollment unless your enrollment status is specifically stated as part-time. Many grants are available only to full-time undergraduate students. Pell grants are required to be adjusted for less than full-time status. Cost of attendance changes due to enrollment less than full-time status may also reduce loan eligibility.

If I have a disability, how can I get assistance and support?

Support services and accommodations are available to any student with a documented disability. If you require reasonable accommodations to assist you with your studies, you must provide current and appropriate documentation. For information regarding the type of services available to you, please contact Assistant Director of Administration at (617) 242-3361, ext. 226,

How do I receive credit for experiential learning in the undergraduate program?

The portfolio course (Human Services Portfolio Development, HUSB 307) teaches a process that identifies each student’s college-level learning and utilizes methodologies that enhance the student’s ability to think conceptually and analytically. Students identify, categorize, and organize their knowledge and present this knowledge through a course equivalent process. Once the knowledge has been identified, students must decide if and how this knowledge relates to learning that is typically credited at the college level. The Human Services Portfolio Development course provides a framework to assist students in reflecting upon and articulating their college-level experiential learning. These policies and procedures are based upon guidelines established by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL).

When is my portfolio due?

The portfolio must be submitted at least six months prior to your anticipated graduation date to allow for the timely review and possible revision of submitted materials.

Why do I need a student ID card?

As a matriculating student, you are required to have a Springfield College photo identification card. The card should be carried at all times and must be used for identification purposes in accessing campus buildings and grounds, borrowing material from the Babson Library, and attending college-sponsored events. In addition, commercial organizations within your community may offer discounts if you present your student identification card when purchasing their products or services.

Where do I find out the latest info about School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses, programs, and activities?

You can find the latest information regarding School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses, programs, and activities through e-mail announcements sent to your Springfield College e-mail address, campus bulletin boards, in your student PrideNet account, and on PCS or Springfield College Boston web pages. 

How can I access a computer on campus?

The campus computer lab located in Room #131 gives you access to the Harold C. Smith Learning Commons (Springfield College's library) for program research. The computers in the lab are equipped with resources including spreadsheets, Internet, and Learning Common access. You can access email through your Springfield College PrideNET account.

Do I have to use my Springfield College email address?

Your Springfield College email account is the mandatory mode of communication between you and the College. Routinely, the College will email general announcements pertaining to the entire Springfield community. You will use your e-mail account to communicate with School of Professional and Continuing Studies faculty and administration, the business office, the office of financial aid, the learning commons (Springfield College library), and any other College office with which you do business.

Are online courses available at School of Professional and Continuing Studies?

Online courses are offered through both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs to matriculated School of Professional and Continuing Studies students. See your advisor for details or check the School of Professional and Continuing Studies homepage for the schedule.

Explore the School of Professional and Continuing Studies