The Campus Guide includes essential information for students attending this campus, such as academic support services, ID cards, class cancellation information, and a resource for restaurants and hotels in the area.


I would like to take this opportunity to extend my personal welcome to you as a student at the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, Springfield Campus.

At the Springfield Campus you are treated with respect for your life, work, family, and community and life experiences. The sharing of these experiences with your fellow students and faculty increases total awareness and critical thinking, which is the key to our program’s success. Open, ongoing, and authentic dialogue is the foundation of our educational approach.

The willingness to assist you in succeeding with your educational endeavors is sincerely shared by all the faculty and staff at the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. We look forward to providing the very best learning environment for you throughout your Springfield College experience.

Again, welcome.

Annemarie Frisby Thomas, EdD
Assistant Dean/Campus Director


Student Support

Academic Support Services

The School of Professional and Continuing Studies has an Academic Success Center that offers readily and easily accessible services. The Center is a resource for students and instructors alike and focuses on writing support services, resource support services, research skills, and developing sustainable study skills. Reference tools connect directly to information, materials, and resources for writing, APA, organization, analysis, critical thinking, reflection/reaction essays, public speaking, and study tips.

All services are coordinated with the assistance of a resource specialist and focus on the development of sustainable skills to help students become independent learners.

The support services are available on a drop-in basis during regular campus hours, class hours of operation, or by appointment. A student may self-elect to seek assistance or follow through on a recommendation.

We strongly encourage students to take advantage of the Academic Success Center services by contacting Karina Borowicz at (413) 748-3546, kborowicz@springfieldcollege.eduto set up an appointment or learn more about these services and free reference tools.

Services for Students with Disabilities

Students with documented physical, learning, or psychological disabilities may be eligible for reasonable academic accommodations to help them succeed in their academic program. It is the student’s responsibility to make a request for such accommodations and to provide appropriate documentation administered by a qualified professional such as psychologists, medical doctors, or agencies specializing in the diagnosis of such disabilities. Students must submit current documentation. If you have questions about services for students with disabilities, please contact Kellee Grucci, Assistant Director for Academic Services at (413) 748-3981,

Please visit here for complete information.

Technology Support Services

For assistance in all areas related to technology (Gmail, Moodle, PrideNet), please contact Karolynn Sheppard at (413) 748-3429,

Class Cancelations, Delays, Closing

For Greater Springfield, MA area tune to WAQY 1600 AM, 102.1FM, WHYN 1560 AM, 93.1 FM, WHMP 1400 AM, 99.3 FM, WMAS 1450 AM, KIX 100.9 iHeart radio for information on class cancelation. For Greater Hartford CT area tune to WHCN 105.9 FM, WTIC 1080 AM, 96.5 FM radio for information on class cancellation. For Greater New Haven CT area tune to WELI 960 AM radio for information on class cancelation For the Greater Springfield/Hartford area the TV stations that announce class cancelations are as follows: WWLP – TV 22, WGGB Fox 6, WGGB – Channel 40

Immunization Requirements

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all incoming students to complete forms regarding immunization and meningococcal disease.

Campus Information


Bookstore Hours of Operation:
Monday -Thursday 8 a.m.- 6 p.m., Friday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Monday -Thursday 9 a.m - 4 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.

The bookstore is physically located at the main Springfield College campus at 263 Alden St., Springfield, MA 01109, and can be reached at (413) 748-3596, or online. For information about book vouchers and eligibility, call Karolyn Sheppard at (413) 748-3429.

Identification Cards

Students enrolled in Springfield College Boston will be issued a student identification card with an assigned student identification number. This card is used for identification purposes in accessing college buildings and grounds, borrowing material from the Learning Commons, and for attending college sponsored events. The first Springfield College Identification Card is issued to a student at no charge. Replacements for lost or stolen cards will cost $35. Photos for identification cards are taken during the New Student Orientation. If you have questions about obtaining an ID card, please contact Don Martin at (413) 748-3074.

Emergency Information

Safety on Campus

Springfield College and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies are serious about safety at all of our campuses. Please visit here to register for SC Alert and Rave Guardian applications.

Title IX Resources

School of Professional and Continuing Studies, Springfield Campus Resources

For assistance in Title IX related issues, please contact Camille Elliott, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the School of Professional and Continuing Studies at or (413) 748-3978.

For more information on Title IX at Springfield College, please click here.


All motor vehicles parked on campus must obtain a parking sticker by registering online with IPARQ. A $25 parking fee is required at the time of registration. Parking stickers will be issued by mail.

If a student does not register or receives fines that are not paid in a timely manner they will be transferred to the student’s account and a daily late fee will be assessed until paid.

The Campus Police Department is located on Portsmouth Street in the Public Safety Building. Parking is restricted to the lot(s) assigned by Campus Police. Parking regulations are enforced by the issuing of tickets, fines, booting devices, and towing. Vehicles parked in a fire lane, handicapped parking area, tow zone or other designated “No Parking” areas are subject of being booted or towed at any time without prior notice. In addition, any vehicle that has accumulated more than three unpaid parking fines will be booted or towed at the owner’s expense. All PCS students should park in Lot 2, Lot 5, Lot 9, and Lot 15 as those lots are set aside for commuters. Campus security will be enforcing the parking regulations in Lot 4 and Lot 6 on the weekends.


Holiday Inn, 1 Bright Meadow Blvd., Enfield, CT., (800) 315-2621, (860) 741-2211
Springfield Marriott Hotel, 2 Boland Way, Springfield, (413) 781-7111
Days Inn, 429 Riverdale St., Bldg. A., West Springfield, (413) 785-5365
Red Roof Inn, 5 Hazard Ave., Enfield, CT., (800) 733-7663
Quality Inn, 1150 Riverdale St., West Springfield, (413) 739-7261
Econo Lodge Chicopee, (Exit 6/Mass Turnpike), 357 Burnett Rd., Chicopee, MA, (413) 592-9101
LaQuinta Inn, 100 Congress St., Springfield, (866) 462-7440
Econo Lodge, 1533 Elm St., West Springfield, (413) 734-8278
Motel 6, Exit 6 Burnett Rd., 36 Johnny Cake Hollow Rd., Chicopee, (413) 592-5141
Sheraton Hotel, One Monarch Place, Springfield, (413) 781-1010
Red Roof Inn, 1254 Riverdale Rd., West Springfield, (413) 731-1010
Days Inn Chicopee, (Exit 5 Mass Turnpike), 450 Memorial Dr., Chicopee Falls, (413) 739-7311


Pizza Choice, 447 State St., 413) 739-5511
Friendly’s Ice Cream, 65 Sumner Ave., (413) 737-8719
Frankie & Johnnie’s, 35 Island Pond Rd., (413) 734-6773
Antonio’s Pizza, 1030 State St., (413) 734-1719
Golden Crust, 320 Wilbraham Rd., (413) 731-7720
Puerto Rico Bakery & Restaurant, 214 Armory St., (413) 732-0259
Pizzeria Unos, 820 W Columbus Ave., (413) 733-1300
Hong Kong Garden, 475 Breckwood Blvd., (413) 783-1281
MJ’s Pizza and Grinders, 955 Worthington St., (413) 788-9211
Golden Corral, 436 Parker St., (413) 543-4600
Big Mamou, 63 Liberty St., (413) 732-1011
El Caribeno, 858 State St., (413) 732-7979

Academic FAQs

What is the role of my academic advisor?

Think of your academic advisor as your partner in education. Your advisor is responsible for ensuring that you understand the School of Professional and Continuing Studies program and sequencing of courses and for monitoring your academic progress so that all graduation requirements are met. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to ask questions and to keep track of your own progress.

What is a syllabus and what information is usually included in it?

A syllabus is your guide to understanding what is expected in a course. The instructor will give you a syllabus no later than the first class. This document will include contact information for the professor, class and Moodle assignments, grading criteria, and academic policies.

What is a pre-course assignment?

Pre-course assignments are reading, writing, and project activities that are preparation for the first class of the course that you will be taking. You will find the vital information you need prior to your first class in the syllabus. It contains the instructor’s contact information, course objectives, required texts, and the pre-course assignment. The syllabus must be downloaded from the School of Professional and Continuing Studies website. You may be required to submit your pre-course assignment in the learning management system called “Moodle.”

Do I have to complete any academic work between classes?

Yes. Education is continuous and class meetings are just one aspect of the learning process. You are expected to complete all assignments as indicated on the course syllabus and the web-enhanced between-class assignments that incorporate the learning management system called “Moodle.” This applies for all School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses. These assignments are critical to your academic success. They also enable you to qualify for federal financial aid as a college student taking courses in our accelerated course format. Therefore, you must allocate some of your time between classes for learning activities that might include reading, writing, analyzing, reflecting, interacting with others, research, and interacting online with fellow students and the instructor. Assignments must be completed before each class session so you will be prepared for the classroom learning experience.

What happens if I miss a class?

You are expected to attend all class sessions and workshops for the courses in which you are enrolled. If you must miss all or part of a class session, you must notify the instructor in advance and make arrangements to make up course assignments. If you miss more than one class session, you may withdraw from the course or you may receive an “F” grade for the course depending on when the absences take place.

What happens to financial aid when I add/drop a course?

Your eligibility for a grant may be lost or reduced when a course is dropped. In some cases, your eligibility may increase if a course is added. Your eligibility for a loan may also change. Check with the staff person handling financial aid at the campus before making final arrangements to add or drop a course so that you will know the impact, if any, in your specific situation.

How is my financial aid impacted when I take less than a full-time load (12 credits undergraduate, 9 credits graduate)?

Aid is based on full-time enrollment unless your enrollment status is specifically stated as part-time. Many grants are available only to full-time undergraduate students. Pell grants are required to be adjusted for less than full-time status. Cost of attendance changes due to enrollment less than full-time status may also reduce loan eligibility.

If I have a disability, how can I get assistance and support?

Support services and accommodations are available to any student with a documented disability. If you require reasonable accommodations to assist you with your studies, you must provide current and appropriate documentation. For information regarding the type of services available to you, please contact Kellee Grucci, Assistant Director for Academic Services (413) 748-3981,

How do I receive credit for experiential learning in the undergraduate program?

The portfolio course (Human Services Portfolio Development, HUSB 307) teaches a process that identifies each student’s college-level learning and utilizes methodologies that enhance the student’s ability to think conceptually and analytically. Students identify, categorize, and organize their knowledge and present this knowledge through a course equivalent process. Once the knowledge has been identified, students must decide if and how this knowledge relates to learning that is typically credited at the college level. The Human Services Portfolio Development course provides a framework to assist students in reflecting upon and articulating their college-level experiential learning. These policies and procedures are based upon guidelines established by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL).

When is my portfolio due?

The portfolio must be submitted at least six months prior to your anticipated graduation date to allow for the timely review and possible revision of submitted materials.

Why do I need a student ID card?

As a matriculating student, you are required to have a Springfield College photo identification card. The card should be carried at all times and must be used for identification purposes in accessing campus buildings and grounds, borrowing material from the Babson Library, and attending college-sponsored events. In addition, commercial organizations within your community may offer discounts if you present your student identification card when purchasing their products or services.

Where do I find out the latest info about School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses, programs, and activities?

You can find the latest information regarding School of Professional and Continuing Studies courses, programs, and activities through email announcements sent to your Springfield College email address, campus bulletin boards, in your student PrideNet account, and on PCS or the Springfield Campus page of the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. 

How can I access a computer on campus?

The Computer Lab is located in the Academic Success Center on the third floor of Blake Hall, or you can use a computer in the Harold C. Smith Learning Commons (the College's library). The computers are equipped with resources including spreadsheets, Internet, and Learning Common access. You can access email through your Springfield College PrideNET account.

Are online courses available at School of Professional and Continuing Studies?

Online courses are offered through both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs to matriculated School of Professional and Continuing Studies students. See your advisor for details or check the School of Professional and Continuing Studies home page for the schedule.

Explore the School of Professional and Continuing Studies