- (413) 748-3495
Athletic Training and Exercise Science Facilities
Brian Thompson is the director of strength and conditioning/head strength and conditioning coach, a professor of exercise science, and the graduate coordinator for the strength and conditioning program at Springfield College. In addition to teaching, he is responsible for the strength and conditioning program design and implementation for all teams at the College. Thompson began working in strength and conditioning in 1987 and has trained athletes at the elementary school, middle school, high school, collegiate, professional, Paralympic, and Olympic levels. He has presented and conducted strength and conditioning related workshops in Australia, China, Mexico, Taiwan and throughout the United States.
- Advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Strength and Conditioning
- Strength and Conditioning Application
- Exercise Testing and Prescription for Special Populations
- Stress Management
- Measurement and Evaluation
Certifications and Memberships
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS*D)
- Registered Strength and Conditioning Coach (RSCC*D)
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- Licensed Athletic Trainer (LAT)
- USA Weightlifting Certified (USAW)
- Functional Movement Systems Certified (FMS)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Member
- National Athletic Trainers Association Member
- Kong, T.Y., & Thompson, B.A.. Effects of Static Stretching, Dynamic Stretching, and Foam Rolling on Flexibility, Power, Strength, and Speed of Female Athletes. Poster and Abstract Presented at the NSCA National Conference and Exhibition: Orlando, FL, July 11, 2015.
- Bergan, M., Hutchinson, J.C., Thompson, B.A., & Matthews, T.D. (2015, April). Female Athlete-Strength Coach Relationships, Motivational Climate, and Intrinsic Motivation in the Weight Room. Northeastern Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Springfield, MA.
- Buck, D., Hutchinson, J.C., Winter, C.R., & Thompson, B.A. (2015, April). The Effects of Mental Imagery on Self-Efficacy and Front Squat Performance. Northeastern Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Springfield, MA.
- “Developing Strength, Power, and Speed for Basketball”, BA Thompson, Beijing Sport University International Training Summit”, Beijing, China, September 13, 2015.
- “Dialogue with the Masters”, BA Thompson, Beijing Sport University International Training Summit”, Beijing, China, September 12, 2015.
- “Developing a Strength and Conditioning Philosophy”, BA Thompson, 1 day seminar presented to coaches and athletes from the Chinese Culture University in Taiwan. Springfield College, August 24, 2015.
- “Keys to Increasing Exercise Performance”, BA Thompson, 5 day seminar presented to a group of 25 national team coaches at the Shandong Provincial Training Center, Jinan, China. July 31-August 5, 2015.
- “Strength and Conditioning Coach Development”, BA Thompson, EliteFTS Podcast, February, 2015.
- “Developing Strength and Conditioning Coaches:, BA Thompson, NSCA Northeast Regional Conference, October 1, 2014. Fitchburg, MA.
- “Exercise, Strength, and Conditioning for Athletes with Disabilities”, BA Thompson, Hospital for Special Card Research and Education Center, September 20, 2014. New Britain, CT.
- “Springfield College Strength and Conditioning”, BA Thompson, Iron Game Coaches Chalk Talk, July 2014.