Daniel M. Smith
Daniel M. Smith
Assistant Professor of Research and Statistics
- (413) 748-3177
Wellness & Recreation Complex
- Dynamic modeling of health and performance data
- Collective behavior, cognition, and emotion in team sports
- GPS monitoring in team sports
- Soccer data science
- RSCH 610: Foundations and Methods of Research
- RSCH 612: Thesis Proposal Design
- RSCH 620: Educational and Psychological Statistics I
- RSCH 712: Dissertation Proposal Design
- Fonder, S., Hutchinson, J. C., Smith, D. M., & Liu, Z. (2023, October). Virtual reality training intervention as a tool for pitchers in baseball. Poster presented at Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Orlando, FL.
- Salvatore, G. M., Hutchinson, J. C., Smith, D. S., & O’Neill, E. (2023, October). The effects of menstrual cycle phase on exercise tolerance and psychological responses to exercise in premenopausal women. Poster presented at Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Orlando, FL.
- Smith, D. M., & Aziz, R. (2023, May). Shot-level xG at the 2022 men's FIFA World Cup. Paper presented at the World Congress on Science and Football, Groningen, Netherlands.
- Kolbinger, O., & Smith, D. M. (2023, May). "I still think he wasn't offside" - Fans' reception of the semi-automated offside technology. Paper presented at the World Congress on Science and Football, Groningen, Netherlands.
- Phillips, S., Hutchinson, J., Smith, D. M., & Mullin, E. (2022, July). The psychological effects of misogynistic music lyrics on female exercisers. Poster presented at FEPSAC 16th European Congress of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Padova, Italy.
- Luo, Y., Smith, D. M., & Crabill, T. (2022, June). The effects of game timing on warmup and in-game player load in an American college men's soccer team. Poster presented at the World Congress on Science and Soccer, Coimbra, Portugal.
- Scott, K., Mellano, K., Smith, D. M., & Hutchinson, J. (2021, October). The association between coach-athlete relationship quality and sport domain-specific self-esteem in college athletes. Poster presentation at the annual conference of the Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology. (Virtual conference). [published abstract in Journal of Exercise, Movement, and Sport (SCAPPS refereed abstracts repository), 52(1)]
- Jacob, E., Hutchinson, J., Smith, D. M., & Sotir, S. (2020, March). The psychological effects of taper on nonprofessional ironman triathletes. Poster presented at the Association for Applied Sport Psychology Northeast Regional Conference, Springfield, MA.
- Smith, D. M. (2019, June). Analyzing collective synchrony in team sports using a regime-switching dynamic factor model. Poster presented at the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Conference, Baltimore, MD. https://osf.io/zqwy7/
- Smith. D. M., Ric, A., Goncalves, B., Torrents, C., Sampaio, J., & Hristovski, R. (2017, May). Exploring coordination in soccer players’ movements using regime switching state space models. Paper presented at the World Conference on Science and Soccer, Rennes, France.
- Jakob, E., Hutchinson, J. C., Smith, D. M., & Sotir, S. (Accepted for publication). The effect of Ironman taper on mood and engagement of nonprofessional triathletes: An interrupted time series study. Journal for Advancing Sport Psychology in Research.
- Zheng, X., Headley, S. A. E., Marris, S. A., & Smith, D. M. (2023). Acute cardiovascular responses to a single bout of resistance exercise with blood flow restriction. Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness, 21(2), 179-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2023.01.001
- Luo, Y., Smith, D. M., Moosbrugger, M., France, T. J., Wang, K., Cheng, Y., Sha, Y., Wang, D., & Si, S. (2023). Dynamics and moderating factors of esport participation and loneliness: A daily diary study. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 66, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2023.102384
- Ding, L., Luo, J., Smith, D. M., Mackey, M., Fu, H., Davis, M., & Hu, Y. (2022). Effectiveness of warm-up intervention programs to prevent sports injuries among children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19(6336), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19106336
- Groover, A. E., Brewer, B. W., Smith, D. M., Van Raalte, J. L., & May, C. N. (2022). Correspondence and concordance of retrospective and concurrent measures of use of psychological techniques in orthopedic and sports physical therapy. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19(5106), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19095106
- Luo, Y., Moosbrugger, M. E., Smith, D. M., France, T., Ma, J., & Xiao, J. (2022). Is increased video game participation associated with reduced sense of loneliness? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Public Health, 10(898338), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2022.898338
- O'Connell, C. S., Moosbrugger, M. E., & Smith, D. M. (2022). A phenomenological exploration of the recruitment experiences of Division III student-athletes by head coach and student-athlete gender. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/19357397.2022.2095180
- Holder, J., Smith, D. M., & France, T. (2021). Coaching leadership behaviors: comparison of high school and collegiate wrestling coaches. The Sport Journal, 42, 1-17. https://thesportjournal.org/article/coaching-leadership-behaviors-a-comparison-of-high-school-and-collegiate-wrestling-coaches/
- Li, L., & Smith, D. M. (2021). Neural Efficiency in Athletes: A Systematic Review. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 15(698555), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2021.698555
- Smith, D. M., & Walls, T. A. (2021). Pursuing collective synchrony in teams: a regime-switching dynamic factor model of speed similarity in soccer. Psychometrika, 86(4), 1016-1038. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11336-021-09782-1