Jill Kochanek identifies as a sport scholar-coach-practitioner. Her research and applied work centers on the promotion of inclusion, equity, and social justice through sports. Through her integrative research line, she critically examine status quo sport dynamics and their marginalizing effects, and explores how youth and adult leaders can engage in a more socially responsible practice. In her applied work, she wears many "hats" as a teacher, facilitator, (soccer) coach, and sport psychology practitioner. She works with athletes, coaches, and teams/organizations at the youth, collegiate, and professional levels, delivering educational programming to help leaders develop the knowledge, attitudes, and skills to make sport more inclusive and empowering.
- Social justice promotion through sport
- Positive youth development through sport
- Intergroup dialogue
- Critical and Inclusive Approaches to Sport
Certifications and Memberships
- Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality (RISE) Diversity/Inclusion Facilitator
- Koru Mindfulness Certified Teacher
- Intergroup Dialogue Facilitator
- Clairborne, T., Kochanek, J., & Pangani, J. (accepted). The influence of an intergroup dialogue-based workshop on athletic trainers’ cultural competence. Journal of Athletic Training.
- Kochanek, J., & Erickson, K. (2020). Unpacking educational athletics: An exploratory study of high school athletic directors’ critical praxis. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 53, DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2020.10183.
- Kochanek, J., Davis, M., Erickson, K., & Ferguson, D. (2020). “More than just a driver”: A study of professional women racecar drivers’ agency in motorsport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 52, DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2020.101871.
- Kochanek, J. (2020). Promoting cultural competence in athletic training education: An intergroup dialogue approach. Journal for Athletic Training Education, 15(2):113–119.
- Kochanek, J. & Erickson, K. (2019). Outside the lines: An exploratory study of high school sport head coaches’ critical praxis. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 45, 101580.
- Kochanek, J. & Erickson, K. (2019). Interrogating Positive Youth Development Through Sport Using Critical Race Theory. Quest, DOI: 10.1080/00336297.2019.1641728