M. Susan Guyer
- (413) 748-3404
Athletic Training and Exercise Science Facilities
Since arriving at Springfield College in 2001, M. Susan Guyer has taught courses in prevention of athletic injuries, research methods and education, athletic injury rehabilitation and therapeutic exercise, and human anatomy. Guyer is clinically active as the athletic trainer for the women's volleyball team and has maintained both teaching and athletic training roles for her entire career. Prior to Springfield College, her experience includes 10 years of athletic health care and a role as program director of the athletic training program at Stetson University in DeLand, Fla.
- Prevention of Illness and Injury
- Prevention of Illness and Injury Lab
- Therapeutic interventions I
- Therapeutic Interventions Lab
- Clinical HumanAnatomy
- Clinical Human Anatomy Lab
- Clinical Practicum
Certifications and Memberships
- Board Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Active Release Techniques for lower extremity (ART)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Corrective Exercise Specialist (NASM-CES)
- Functional Movement Screening (FMS) Graston Techniques
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Member
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- "ACL Injuries in Female Athletes Prevention and Rehabilitation", Guyer, MS and Brassard, M. Invited presenter at the Symposium on Girls and Women in Sports, Springfield College, October, 2013.
- "SQF Model for Clinical Instruction" Barnum, MB, Guyer, MS., Invited presenters at the Biennial Audiology Teaching Conference; The Art and Science of Clinical Teaching: Across Health Professions. University of Pittsburgh, June 2013.
- "Prevention and Management of Common Sports Injuries", MS Guyer. Presented at East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China, May 2013.
- "Post-Surgical Rehabilitation Techniques for Knee and Shoulder Injuries", MS Guyer, Presented at Guangzhou Sports Technical College, Guangzhou, China, May 2013.
- "Post-Surgical Rehabilitation of the Knee", MS Guyer, Presented at Sun Yatsen University, Guangzhou, China May 2013.
- "Prevention and Management of Fitness Related Injuries", MS Guyer, Presented at Jinan Public Sports and Fitness Center, Jinan, China, June 2013. Audience size approximate, 700.
- "Theory and Application Principles of the Graston Techniques" MS Guyer, Presented at Tianjin University of Sport, Tianjin China, and the 23rd Practical Teaching Forum at the Teaching Experiment Center of Beijing Sport University, Beijing, China, June 2013.
- "Concussion Management" Wellness Workshop, Guyer, MS., Invited speaker for the Department of Recreation for students. March 2013.
- "Future Directions in Athletic Training: Where Are We Headed?" Round Table Discussion; Brown, SD, Rochester, JA, & Guyer, MS., Exercise Science and Sport Studies Academic Symposium, April, 2013.".
- Guyer, M. S. (2011). "Faculty-led short term study abroad". International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training, 16(1), 17-20.
- Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L. S., & Graham, C. "The supervision, questioning, feedback model of clinical teaching: A practical Approach". The Athletic Trainer's Pocket Guide to Clinical Teaching, Chapter 9. Slack, Thorofare, NJ. 2009.
- Willeford, K.S., Fincher, A.L., Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L.S., and Sexton, P. (2009). "Improving Clinical Education Through Proper Supervision". Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 6-7.
- Levy, L.S., Sexton, P., Willeford, K. S., Barnum, M.G., Gardner, G., & Guyer, M.S. (2009). A Historical Clinical Instructor Characteristics, Behaviors and Skills in Allied Health Care Settings. Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 8-13.
- Sexton, P., Levy, L.S., Willeford, K. S., Barnum, M.G., Gardner, G., & Guyer, M.S. (2009). Supervised Autonomy. Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 14-18.
- Levy, L.S., Gardner, G., Barnum, M.G., Willeford, K. S., Sexton, P., & Guyer, M.S. (2009). Situational Supervision for Athletic Training Clinical Education. Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 19-22.
- Barnum, M.G, Guyer, M.S., Levy, L.S., Willeford, K. S., Sexton, P., Gardner, G., & Finsher, A.L. (2009). "Questioning and Feedback in Athletic Training Clinical Education". Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 23-27.
- Gardner, G., Sexton, P., Guyer, M.S, Willeford, K.S., Levy, L.S., Barnum, M.B., & Fincher, A.L. (2009). "Clinical Instruction for Professional Practice". Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 28-31."