M. Susan Guyer
- (413) 748-3404
Athletic Training and Exercise Science Facilities
M. Susan Guyer has been invited to speak on the prevention of athletic injuries, concussion, and issues relating to teaching and learning locally, nationally and internationally. She is actively engaged in her professional organizations, having served on state, regional, and national boards. Guyer currently serves on the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) International Committee. She has received the NATA Service Award, the NATA Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award, and the Gail Weldon Award of Excellence for her service. Guyer also has been recognized by the College with the R. William Cheney Award in recognition of her devotion to the Springfield College community and her commitment to the Humanics philosophy. In addition, she received the Springfield College Teaching Excellence Award and was chosen as the Distinguished Springfield Professor of Humanics.
- Prevention of Athletic Injuries
- Research Methods and Education
- Athletic Injury Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Exercise
- Human Anatomy
Certifications and Memberships
- BOC Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- Level 1 Master Preceptor
- Impact Trained Athletic Trainer (ITAT)
- Certified Active Release Techniques ART®
- Certified in Functional Movement Screening FMS ©
- Selective Functional Movement Assessments SFMA ©
- Graston Techniques® Certification
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Board of Certification Corrective Exercise Specialist (NASM-CES)
- American College of Sport Medicine, Exercise is Medicine Credential – Level I
- Accepted Oral Presentation at the First World Congress International Association of Sport and Play for Young Children (IASAPYC) in Springfield, Ma., USA. Guyer, S., “Prevention of Pediatric Sport Related Injuries”.
- Invited speaker to the 2019 Patriot League Athletic Sports Medicine Meeting. Guyer, MS Using the Vestibular/Occular-Motor Screening (VOMS) in Concussion Assessment and Management. May 15, 2019.
- Guyer, MS., A Comprehensive Athletic Assessment of China Ice Hockey Team. Presented to the Coaches, Administrators and Staff at the Chinese Olympic Training Center. June 20, 2018.
- O’Neill, E, & Guyer, MS. Functional Movement Screening. Oral presentation presented to Faculty and Students at University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica, May 15, 2018.
- Guyer, MS, & Rudolph, L (2018, May). The Physical Activity Vital Sign and Factors that Influence Exercise Behaviors and Overall Wellness, Simposio Internacional en Ciencias del Deporte, el Ejercicio y la Salud. Poster Presentation, University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica.
- "Management and Prevention of Concussion in Sports" Guyer, MS. Invited keynote speaker at the 1st International Academic Forum in Sports medicine and Health, October 25-28 2017 in Chengdu, Sichuan, P. R. China.
- “Healthy Table: Evaluating the Impact of a Community-based Intervention Combining Culinary Skills and Nutrition Education”, Chapman, DJ, Pleasant, A., Maish, C., Guyer, MS, O’Leary, C., Mary-Beth Cooper, MB. Accepted Poster Presentation at Nutrition 2018. American Society for Nutrition Boston, MA, June 9-12, 2018.
- “An Inter-professional Approach to a Community Based Interdisciplinary Wellness Program”. Guyer, M.S., Matthews, TD. Oral presentation 2018 National Association of Kinesiology in Higher Education (NAKHE) Conference, January 2018, Phoenix, Arizona.
- “Evolution of Athletic Training and Strength and Conditioning in the United States”, Guyer M.S. Invited Speaker at the 2016 International Symposium on Higher Education of Sports Training, Sports Training Branch of China Sport Science Society, Guangzhou, China, October 22, 2016.
- “Examining the EBP Process in Clinical Education: What Drives EBP and How are the Prongs of EBP Utilized?” Dodge, T., Guyer, S., Szlosek, P., & Cook S. (2017, June). Poster Presentation, NATA Convention, Houston, TX
- “The Power of Women: Notable Women from Western and Central Massachusetts from the 1600s to Today”. "Women in Sports" Chapter Introductions. Guyer, MS., Springfield Republican Heritage Book Series. Served as a guest scholar/expert to write the introduction on the Women in Sports Chapter.
- Dodge, TM., Guyer, MS, Mazerolle, SM., & Bowman, T. Reciprocal Learning Among Preceptors and Athletic Training Students During Clinical Education, Part I: Frequency and Perceived Value. International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training 01/2016; 21(1). DOI:10.1123/ijatt.2014-0126
- Guyer, MS., “Posture and Gait Assessment”, Sixth Edition of Foundations of Athletic Training. Chapter 8, September 2016.
- Ambegaonkar, JP., Redmond, CJ., Winter, C., Ambegaonkar, SJ., Thompson, B., & Guyer, MS. (2011). “Ankle stabilizers affect agility but not vertical jump or dynamic balance performance”, Foot & Ankle Specialist, 4(6), 366-372.
- Guyer, M. S. (2011). “Faculty-led short term study abroad”. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training, 16(1), 17-20.
- Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L. S., & Graham, C. “The supervision, questioning, feedback model of clinical teaching: A practical Approach”. The Athletic Trainer’s Pocket Guide to Clinical Teaching, Chapter 9. Slack, Thorofare, NJ. 2009.
- Willeford, K.S., Fincher, A.L., Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L.S., and Sexton, P. (2009). “Improving Clinical Education Through Proper Supervision”. Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 6-7.
- Guyer, M. S. (2011). "Faculty-led short term study abroad". International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training, 16(1), 17-20.
- Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L. S., & Graham, C. "The supervision, questioning, feedback model of clinical teaching: A practical Approach". The Athletic Trainer's Pocket Guide to Clinical Teaching, Chapter 9. Slack, Thorofare, NJ. 2009.
- Willeford, K.S., Fincher, A.L., Barnum, M.G., Guyer, M.S., Levy, L.S., and Sexton, P. (2009). "Improving Clinical Education Through Proper Supervision". Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 6-7.
- Barnum, M.G, Guyer, M.S., Levy, L.S., Willeford, K. S., Sexton, P., Gardner, G., & Finsher, A.L. (2009). "Questioning and Feedback in Athletic Training Clinical Education". Athletic Training Education Journal, 4(1): 23-27.