Pamela S. Higgins
Pamela Higgins' professional focus includes public health research, program development, implementation, and evaluation. She has been involved in national and local primary care evidenced-based practice implementation efforts for screening and brief intervention studies and pediatric asthma management at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, and recently worked with the Center on Aging to evaluate health policy. Her present research includes a children’s behavioral health prevention system in Middletown, Conn., called iCARE (Identifying Children and Responding Early). She incorporates this direct experience in conjunction with pedagogy, which offers students a platform to learn how public health, medical, and community-based collaborations function.
- Community-based participatory research
- Program implementation and evaluation
- Introduction to Public Health
- Global Health
- Health Law
- Health and Health Care Disparities
- Cultural Competence in Rehabilitation and Health Care
- Senior Seminar in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Certifications and Memberships
- Certification in Public Health (CPH)
- Delta Omega, National Honorary Society in Public Health, Beta Rho Chapter
- American Public Health Association
- Connecticut Public Health Association
- Higgins, PS, Glynn, KM. Addressing Behavioral Health Disparities in Children through School, Provider, and Faith-Based Collaboration: A Public Health Prevention System of Early Identification. Presentated at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, November 2017.
- Higgins, PS, Mancini, S. Integration of a Children’s Mental Health Prevention Initiative in a School System in Connecticut. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, November 2015.
- Higgins, PS, Mancini, S, Smith, M, Arnold, R. Identifying Children and Responding Early (iCARE): A School, Family, and Community-based Behavioral Health System. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, November 2014.
- Higgins, PS, Shugrue, N, Ruiz, K & Robison, J. Health Care Experiences of Medicare/Medicaid-Eligible Adults with Disabilities in Connecticut: A Qualitative Study. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, November 2013.
- Shugrue, N, Higgins, P, Ruiz, K, Price, M, & Robison, J. Health Care Experiences of Medicare/Medicaid-Eligible Older Adults in Connecticut: A Qualitative Study. Presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Meeting, November 2012.
- Higgins, PS, Robison, J. The Connecticut agency data exchange: facilitating data sharing between state human service agencies to improve employment outcomes for people with disabilities. Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, November 2011.
- Higgins PS, Banco L, Wakefield DB, Cloutier MM. Easy Breathing, a Community Practiced-
- Based Asthma Management Program. Presented at the National Association of Children’s Hospitals and Related Institutions Annual Meeting, October 2007. Conference first place poster winner.
- Higgins PS, Wakefield DB, Adkins JT, Cloutier, MM. Attitudes of primary care providers toward clinical asthma guidelines. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2004;169(7):A876.
- Wakefield DB, Higgins PS, Delaronde S, Cloutier MM, et al. Medical services utilization by children with and without asthma in a private HMO. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2003;167(7):A783.
- Higgins PS, Wakefield DB, Bailit H, Cloutier MM. Organizational culture affects implementation of a pediatric asthma management program. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2002,165(8):A662.
- Higgins, P., Affleck, G., Urrows, S., Tennen, H., Abeles, M. Differences between patients and non-patients in pain attitudes, pain coping, and psychological distress. Presented at the annual meeting of the Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, Washington, DC, November 1997.
- Sangeloty Higgins, P, Shugrue, N, Ruiz, K, Robison, J. Medicare and Medicaid Users Speak Out about their Health Care: The Real, the Ideal, and How to Get There. (2015). Population Health Management, doi:10.1089/pop.2014.0056.
- Brazil, K., Cloutier, M., Tennen, H., Bailit, H., Higgins, PS. A qualitative study of the relationship between clinician attributes, organization, and patient characteristics on implementation of a disease management program. (2008). Disease Management, 11(2):129-37.
- Cloutier MM, Wakefield DB, Sangeloty Higgins P, Delaronde S, Hall CB. Asthma Guideline Use by Pediatricians in Private Practice And Asthma Morbidity. (2006). Pediatrics, 1880-87.
- Sangeloty Higgins, P., Wakefield, D., Cloutier, MM. Risk Factors for Asthma and Asthma Severity in Non-Urban Children in Connecticut. (2005). Chest, 128(6):3847-3853.
- Babor, T., Higgins-Biddle, J., Dauser, D., Higgins, PS., Burleson, J. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention in Primary Care Settings: Implementation Models and Predictors. (2005). J Stud Alcohol, 66(3):361-8.
- Babor, T., Higgins-Biddle, J., Higgins, PS., Gassman, R., Gould, B. Training Medical Providers to Conduct Alcohol Screening and Brief Interventions. (2004). Substance Abuse, 25(1), 17-26.
Selected Health Policy Reports
- Kellett, K., Robison, J., Porter, M., Baker, K., Higgins, P. (2015). Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration: Process Evaluation Year 6. Prepared for the Connecticut Department of Social Services, Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration CFDA 93.779.
- Kellet, K, Shugrue, N., Robison, J., Higgins, P., Santiago, A. (2014). Aging and Disability Resource Center Older Adult Behavioral Health Asset Mapping: Regional Focus Group Results. Prepared for the Administration for Community Living and the Connecticut Department on Aging Enhanced ADRC Options Counseling Program.
- Shugrue, N., Higgins, PS., Robison, J. (2012). MED-Connect: Medicaid for Employees with Disabilities Program Report. http://www.connect-ability.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146%3Aresearch-papers&catid=131%3Aresearch-papers&Itemid=562&lang=en
- Higgins, PS., Shugrue, N., Robison, J. (2011). Connecticut’s Medicaid Infrastructure Grant: State Agency Employment Services Process Maps Update. http://www.connect-ability.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146%3Aresearch-papers&catid=131%3Aresearch-papers&Itemid=562&lang=en