Roland Holstead, PhD
Dr. Roland Holstead returns to Springfield College as the Interim Director of Professional and Continuing Studies after a notable career as a professional continuing educator. His career in higher education began at Springfield College with his appointment as an assistant professor of sociology. He earned the rank of full professor and, after a national search, was appointed the Director of Continuing Education and Special Programs. He instituted the January Winter Term which gave students an opportunity to earn credit during the winter recess. His success at Springfield College enabled him to be appointed the Assistant Dean for Public Service and Applied Research at the University of Connecticut. His division served more than 40,000 Connecticut residents in non-credit programs, including the development of the award winning Respite Care Program. Dr. Holstead went on to the University of the District of Columbia as the Dean of Community Outreach and Extension Services where he led the effort to open an extended campus in an under served area of the District and under his leadership, the University received a 2.9 million dollar grant from the Department of Labor for workforce development. Returning to Springfield as Vice President of Educational Enterprise and Dean of Graduate and Continuing Education at American International College, during his tenure he reengineered the Division and instituted extended campuses throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and in Ireland, Italy, and Egypt.
Professional Certifications and Memberships
- Post Docotrla Sloan Fellowship for Computer Assisted Instruction at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Certificate in Strategy and Planning from the Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island
- Certificate in the Management of Lifelong Education from Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Key Note Presenter, General Session: “The Entrepreneurial Spirit” New England University Professional and Continuing Education Association, Ogunquit, Maine
- Presentor: “The Benefits of Higher Education,” Middle East Association of National Schools, Egypt
- Key Note Speaker: “Swords to Plowshares,” Army ROTC, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Key Note Speaker: “Transforming Lives for Success” Foundation for Excellent Schools, Hancock, MA
- Key Note Speaker: “Educational Innovation in the Classroom,” Middle East Association of National Schools, Cairo, Egypt"
Community Service and Volunteer Work
- President of the Alumni Association of the State University of New York at Oneonta
- Senior Warden of Christ Church Cathedral, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Member, Board of Directors, Urban League of Springfield, Massachusetts
- Member, Next Century Foundation
- Member, Springfield Symphony Association
- Member, Springfield Museum Association
- Member, Association of the United States Navy
- Member, Congressman Richard Neal's Nomination Committee for appointments to the U. S. Naval Academy
Your Work Inspiration
- I am inspired by students who face life's challenges with hope and confidence that a better future lies ahead through higher education.
What Makes You Special
relax with my family, be invovled in church, and seeks ways to serve my community.
Little-known Fact About You
- That I am a Vietnam War Era Veteran and a retired Navy Captain