- (413) 748-3752
Herbert P. Blake Hall
- Campus Map
- Doctorate of Education, Creativity and Child Development, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass., 1990
- Masters of Education, Art Therapy, Lesley University, Cambridge, Mass., 1979
- Bachelors of Arts, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Mass., 1976
Simone Alter-Muri is a professor and director/founder of the undergraduate/graduate art therapy/counseling, and art education programs at Springfield College. Alter-Muri exhibits her art in galleries locally and abroad. Her work has been displayed at the Brattleboro Art Museum and at the Boston Biennial. Her research interests include: The Cultural Terrains of Tattoos, Art in Times of War and Gender and Children’s Art Development. Simone has been awarded several grants, and was the 2003 Massachusetts Art Teacher of the Year in Higher Education. She published numerous articles, chapters and presented at conferences and symposiums nationally and globally.
- Cultural Terrains of Tattoos
- The Body as a Canvas for Tattoos
- Art in Times of War and Political Conflicts
- Children’s Art Development
- The Art of the Holocaust
- Art Therapy and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Ethical Issues in Art Therapy/Counseling
- Methods and Materials in Art Therapy
- Psychology of Art and Artists
- Introduction to Art Therapy Research
- Painting for the Art Therapist
- Multicultural Issues in Art Therapy/Counseling
Certifications and Memberships
- Board Certified Art Therapist
- Registered Art Therapist
- Art Therapy Certified Supervisor
- American Art Therapy Association
- Professional Member
- Member Education Committee
- Research Committee
- Multicultural Committee
- National Art Education Association
- Professional Member
- Massachusetts Art Education Association
- Awarded the Art Educator of the Year in 2002
- Graduate Council
- Teacher Preparation Committee
- Holocaust and Genocide Awareness Committee, Springfield College
- Presented at The American Art Therapy Association, Annual Conference
- Alter-Muri, S. (2014) Gender Typicality in Children’s Art Development: A Cross Cultural Study.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2013), Gender Typicality in Children’s Art Development: A Cross Cultural Study
- Alter-Muri, S. (2012), Revisiting the past to empower the future: The Art of the Holocaust.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2011) Raising Awareness about Art Therapy Through Undergraduate Education. Expressive Therapies Summit, New York, N.Y., 2015, The Body as Canvas; The cultural terrain of tattoos.
- Alter-Muri, S. 2014, Dreams Art and Creative Writing 2013, National Art Education Association Annual Conference
- Alter-Muri, S. (2015), Gender Typicality in Children’s Art Development: A Cross Cultural Study
- Alter-Muri, S. (2012), Art of the Holocaust 2010, 1989, Arts and Special Education Conference at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2013). “Art therapy and special education: Augmentative and alternative communication or students across the autism spectrum” United States Society for Education through Art, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2012). Beyond the Barcode : Leadership and Resilience in the Art of Children. European Consortium of Arts Therapies Conference
- Alter-Muri, S. (2011) Resilience and Positive Therapy, Lucca, Italy, Truro College Brooklyn, NY “Reviewing the past to empower the future," 2012
- Hosmer Gallery and Northampton Arts Council , 2007
- National Women’s Caucus on the Arts, Boston, Mass., 2005
Art Exhibits (Juried, Group, and Solo Exhibitions)
- “Enigma Obscura “ (2016), Campus Rotunda, Springfield College, “Curious Encounters," Gallery 51, North Adams, MA (2015)
- ‘Art is a Gift”, (2015), The Big Red Frame Gallery, Easthampton, Mass.
- North Northeast (2015) Brattleboro Art Museum, Brattleboro, Vt.
- “Black and White and Read”,(2015) The Art Bank, South Deerfield, Mass.
- “Paradise Not Yet Lost” , (2015) The Art Garden, Shelburne Falls, Mass.
- “Codes on Canvas 3”, (2014), Lesley University, Cambridge, Mass.
- Represented by Nash Gallery, Easthampton 2010-present
- Alter-Muri, S. (In Press) Art Therapy Strategies for Autism Spectrum Disorder Students in the Art Classroom. Art Education Journal of the National Art Education Association.
- Alter-Muri, S. & Vazzano, S. (2014) Gender typicality in children’s art development: A cross-cultural study. The Arts in Psychotherapy.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2011). Transforming our worldview. In Pope, M. and Coker, A. (Ed). Experiential Activities for Teaching Multicultural Competence in Counseling. American Counseling Association Press.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2007). Beyond the face: Self-portraiture and art therapy. The Arts in Psychotherapy.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2007). Imagistic Imagery Exchange Between Mother-Daughter Artists In Blaze: A discourse on art, women and feminism. Cambridge Scholars Publishing: UK.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2007). Dissolving the boundaries: Post-modernist art and art therapy. Art Therapy: The American Journal of Art Therapy.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2007). Art in times of war and political conflicts: In European arts therapy grounding the vision to advance theory and practice. European Consortium for Arts Therapy Education. University of Plymouth Press, Plymouth, UK.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2003). Teaching political art in the new millennium. Art Education: Journal of the American Art Education Association.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2003). Integration of art therapy and art history: In K. Dannecker (Ed.). Internationale Perspektiven der Kunsttherapie. Nauser and Nauser: Vienna, Austria.
- Alter-Muri, S. (2002). Homage to Greg Gillespie. In Working with Images: The Art of Art Therapists. Moon (Ed.), Charles C. Thomas, Chicago, IL.
- Kids’ Drawings Hint at Shifting Perception of Gender Roles, Wall Street Journal Live -https://youtu.be/bwHzxcaconY
- Interview with Simone Alter-Muri, Art Installation Codes on Canvas - https://youtu.be/QUp-O5yS8X8
- Boston Marathon Bombing Victim Finds Help in Art, The Springfield Republican -http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/boston-marathon-bombing-victim-finds-help-in-art/
Spring 2017 Laurels Submissions
A sculpture by Simone Alter-Muri, EdD, professor of art and director of the art therapy and art education programs, titled “Uncertainty, Challenges and Transitions” was on display at the Art Bank in Shelburne Falls, Mass., in November and December 2016. Her sculptural books were in the exhibit Love Show at the MAP Gallery in Easthampton, Mass., in February 2017. Her sculptural cards “Ode to Georgia O’Keefe” were in the Nasty Women exhibit at the Leverett Arts Center in Leverett, Mass., in February 2017.