Steven W. Groccia
- (413) 748-3427
Wellness & Recreation Complex
As a teacher-educator, Groccia utilizes a constructivist approach to shape future educators in educating through the physical and promoting lifelong movers. He leverages his nine years as a physical educator to advocate for a higher standard in the field. He coordinates the Springfield College Homeschool Physical Education Program, serving 30-40 families from western Massachusetts a semester. Groccia has extensive coaching experience at the collegiate, high school, and youth levels. He remains active in his community as a volunteer soccer and softball coach and serving as vice president and coaching coordinator of the town softball association.
- Instructional Models for Physical Education
- Homeschool Physical Education
- Curriculum development in Physical Education
- PHED 102: Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- PHED 484/485: Practicum & Seminar in Physical Education (PreK-8; 5-12)
- PHED 629: Curriculum Construction in Physical Education
- PHED 660: Advanced Instructional Strategies in Physical Education
- PHED 731: Seminar in Physical Education Teacher Education
- PHED 741: Fieldwork in Physical Education Teacher Education
Certifications and Memberships
- Massachusetts Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- SHAPE America
Conferences and Presentations
- Groccia, S.W., Li, Longxi, & Zhang, Meiqi. (November, 2020). Utilizing the Personalized System of Instruction for Remote Physical Education. Springfield College’s Youth in Motion Professional Development Series, Springfield, MA.
- Groccia, S.W. (April, 2020). Curriculum design and analysis for a homeschool physical education program. Physical and Health Education Canada National Conference Research Forum, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Cancelled.
- Groccia, S.W. (November, 2019). Ideas for More Inclusive Physical Education. MAHPERD Annual Convention, Worcester, MA.
- Groccia, S.W., Moosbrugger, M., & Mirando, K. (April, 2019). Parent Perceptions of a Homeschool Physical Education Program. SHAPE America National Convention & Expo, Tampa, FL.
- Groccia, S.W. (November, 2018). Peer Teaching. MAHPERD Annual Convention, Worcester, MA.
- Moosbrugger, M., & Groccia, S.W. (October, 2018). Enhancing PETE and Community through Homeschool Physical Education. SHAPE America: PETE & HETE Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Groccia, S.W., Moosbrugger, M., & Mirando, K. (2021). Parent perceptions of a college physical education program for homeschooled students. The Physical Educator.