Health Science Program Outcomes
Goal 1 : Students are expected to understand the health research process, and to be able to use health research methods to address specific questions, hypotheses, and aims.
- SLO 1 : Students will be able to evaluate and synthesize information from health research studies and other relevant sources to address research questions, hypotheses, and aims.
- SLO 2 : Students will be able to select and apply appropriate statistical tools and research methodologies to test research hypotheses.
Goal 2 : Students are expected to know and be aware of how health-related policies and legislation are developed and implemented, as well as how these policies and legislation affect the work of health professionals.
- SLO 3 : Students will be able to analyze and explain how health research and societal attitudes and beliefs come together to inform the development of policies and legislation.
- SLO 4 : Students will be able to analyze and explain how policies, laws, ethical considerations, and cultural competence inform clinical practices.
Goal 3 : Students are expected to know and be aware of what goes into the process of clinical decision making.
- SLO 5 : Students will be able to describe the principles of evidence-based practice as well as to characterize the importance of the different components involved in this practice.
- SLO 6 : Students will be able to identify and synthesize the information necessary to make informed clinical and health-related decisions.
Goal 4 : Students are expected to know and be aware of common and significant diseases, illnesses, and disabling conditions, as well as the impact of these conditions on patients and their families.
- SLO 7 : Students will be able to describe the epidemiology of common and significant diseases, illnesses, and conditions.
- SLO 8 : Students will be able to differentiate and categorize the roles and responsibilities of different health professionals in treating and managing patients as well as in relating to their families.
Goal 5 : Students are expected to gain the professional and leadership skills necessary to succeed in clinical, research, and administrative careers as well as in graduate-level academic programs.
- SLO 9 : Students will be able to integrate critical thinking and problem solving skills to address complex, dynamic situations.
- SLO 10 : Students will be able to develop and maintain productive collaborative relationships.
- SLO 11 : Students will be able to use appropriate software to prepare effective, audience-appropriate written reports, scientific posters, and oral presentations.