- (413) 748-3221
Wellness & Recreation Complex
Lee Arakawa is in his first year as an assistant professor at Springfield College. He teaches graduate-level sport and exercise psychology courses and supervises applied sport psychology internships. Arakawa also has applied experience as a sport psychology consultant working with athletes and coaches from a variety of ages and competition levels.
- Psychological skills in sport psychology
- Social issues in sport
- Coach development and education
- AEXS 678 - Sport and Exercise Psychology
- AEXS 689 - Internship in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Member - Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)
- Member - North American Society for Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA)
- Member - North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS)
- Member - Society of Health and Physical Educators of America (SHAPE)
- Member - United States Center for Coaching Excellence (USCCE)
- Altomare, G., Douglas, S., Arakawa, L., McCarver, Z., & Stellino, S. (2022). Exploring the integration of wheelchair tennis into a high-performance community tennis program. Presented at USCCE North American Coach Development Summit. Spokane, WA.
- Douglas, S., Arakawa, L. (2022). Adventures in Research. Presented at University of Northern Colorado, SES 123 Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science guest lecture. Greeley, CO.
- Arakawa, L. (2022). Multicultural Competence and Sport Coaching. Presented at University of Northern Colorado, SES 335 Principles of Coaching guest lecture. Greeley, CO.
- Arakawa, L. (2021). Talent development and sport specialization in youth. Presented at University of Northern Colorado, SES 624 Advanced Development Kinesiology guest lecture. Greeley, CO.
- Arakawa, L., Altomare, G., & Douglas, S. (2021). LGBTQ diversity and representation in youth sport and physical activity. Presented at SHAPE Colorado. Aurora, CO.
- Arakawa, L. & Douglas, S. (2021). Cross-cultural considerations for sport coaching. Presented at SHAPE America. Virtual Conference.
- Arakawa, L., Azzarello, C., Sutton, M., & Edi, D. (2020). Perceived life-readiness from Real World Curriculum. Presented at University of Northern Colorado Research Evening. Greeley, CO
- Arakawa, L., Brustad, R., Douglas, S. (2020). Cross-cultural sport coaching for life skill development. Accepted at USCCE North American Coach Development Summit (Cancelled – COVID-19), Birmingham, AL.
- Arakawa, L., Douglas, S. (2020). Achieving and understanding motivational climate perception alignment. Accepted at SHAPE America (Cancelled – COVID-19). Salt Lake City, UT.
- Arakawa, L., Douglas, S. (2019). Creating mastery motivational climates from sport to school. Presented at SHAPE Colorado. Aurora, CO.
- Horne, L., Manzanares, A., Babson, N., Arakawa, L., et al. (2022). Alignment among environmental programs in higher education: What Food-Energy-Water Nexus concepts are we covering in introductory courses? Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Arakawa, L. & Douglas, S. (2021). Fostering Positive Youth Development. Strategies, 34(6), 48-50.
- Arakawa, L. & Douglas, S. (2021). Considerations for Cultural Competence in Health and Physical Education. SHAPE Colorado, 47(3), 14-15.
- Azzarello, C.B., Arakawa, L., Edi, D., Sutton, M., & Larkins, R. (2021). Perceived Life-Readiness from Real-World Curriculum Experiences of Alumni. International Journal of Higher Education, 10(6), 33-44.
- Arakawa, L. (2021). Why is There a Lack of Asian Representation in Sport Coaches? Asian Avenue Magazine, 16(6), 20-21.
- McCarver, Z., Arakawa, L., & Babkes Stellino, M. (2020). Enhancing Coach Education: A Reflection on the Coach Developer Experience. Manuscript submitted for publication.