Athletic Counseling Careers and Internships
Athletic Counseling Internships, Research, and Employment
The athletic counseling concentration has a strong focus on applied experience working with athletic populations, which is why we require students to complete a seven to 16-credit internship for degree completion. Students typically are involved in several internships working with Springfield College teams, athletes, and coaches as well as with youth sport organizations, elite sport clubs, and other colleges and universities.
Athletic counseling students and faculty are also involved in research. The Research Team (available to interested students and faculty) meets weekly to discusses all aspects of the research process from conceptualization of research hypotheses, to research design, data collection, analysis, interpretation, and publication. Research Team subgroups meet during the week to advance work on specific topics including athletic identity, injury, professional issues, self-talk, and more. Research Team members are encouraged to attend professional conferences and to create and present research projects. Each member is given the opportunity to share their concerns and beliefs to better understand various aspects of research.
- American International College
- Eastern Junior Hockey League
- Massachusetts Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program
- Smith College
- University of Connecticut
- University of Massachusetts
- Western New England University
Graduates of the athletic counseling master’s degree program hold positions such as the following.
- Academic Counselor for Student-athletes
- Director for Mental Conditioning
- Intercollegiate Coach
- Master Resilience Trainer/Performance Expert
Graduates of the program have pursued careers at the following organizations.
- Canadian Sport Institute-Pacific
- Comprehensive Soldier and Family Fitness (CSF-2)
- Connecticut Department of Children and Families
- Fordham University
- Teleos Leadership Institute
- The First Tee of Washington, D.C.
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Oregon Athletic Department