Athletic Training Admissions Requirements
The athletic training major, developed in 1975, is a challenging, competency-based, professional preparation program leading toward eligibility to take the Board of Certification examination in athletic training. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
Admission into the athletic training program is competitive, with more applications (approximately 150) than admission slots (approximately 35). Both first-year and transfer applicants who are admitted into the program enter directly into the major; there is no secondary selection process.
- The average grade point average (GPA) of students admitted to the athletic training program is a 3.5.
- The average SAT score of students admitted to the athletic training program is 1150 (evidence-based reading/writing and math). The average ACT score of admitted students is a 25 (composite score).
- Documented job shadowing hours (minimum 15-20) with an athletic trainer
- Shadowing hours are not required but are recommended
- Letter of recommendation from the athletic trainer shadowed
- Complete athletic training supplemental essays with the Common Application
- Four years of high school college preparatory mathematics
- Four years of high school college preparatory science (junior/senior year: physics, AP biology, etc.)
- AP credits are not required but are recommended
- Must satisfy other general Springfield College admissions requirements
- Completion of all athletic training courses with a B- or better
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at the conclusion of the first year, and maintained thereafter
Athletic Health Care Clinic
- Treatment area consists of 17 treatment tables, two high/low tables, and a motorized traction table. Modalities include six Game Ready cold therapy units low-level laser therapy unit, multiple electrical therapy and ultrasound units, a paraffin bath, three large hydro collator units, two ice machines, and an administrative check-in counter. Twelve taping stations complete the main treatment area.
- Hydrotherapy area contains two full-body whirlpools, one extremity whirlpool, and a cold hydrotherapy tub.
- The functional exercise area includes two Paramount functional trainer units, three Schwinn Airdynes, a PreCor treadmill and elliptical machines, SCIFIT upper body ergometer, and numerous functional exercise equipment with plenty of space for activity.
Athletic Training Education Facilities
The learning laboratory is equipped with 12 treatment tables, six taping stations, modalities, and all supplies needed for learning, practicing, and applying athletic training skills.