Physical Education (CAGS)
About This Program
You'll earn a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) in Physical Education.
Graduate Physical Education and Athletic Leadership Information Sessions
Looking to further advance your skills? Ready to step into a leadership role? The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) in Physical Education is designed to serve individuals who hold master's degrees and are seeking the next step in their educational path. Ideal for physical educators and athletic administrators, the program is flexible to allow for full- or part-time study and co-creation of curriculum.
You'll work closely with an academic advisor to define professional goals and design a curriculum to advance toward those goals. The program core offers field experience along with a research course and/or a research project depending on prior experience and future goals. The research experience affords opportunities to conduct original research or examine existing literature and apply evidence-based practice within your current role. Coursework is selected within the content areas of physical education and administration with room for electives in additional areas of interest.
Graduates of the program often take on leadership roles in educational settings, such as department chair, coordinator, or athletic director. Whether you're looking to improve your practice or take on a new role, the CAGS in Physical Education program is here for you!
This program enrolls students in all terms.
Complete the application form. No application fee.
Start your application process by completing the online application form. Be sure to complete your application by submitting all the required materials outlined in this section.
Graduate Admissions Essay
Once your application form is processed you will receive an email with your application portal login credentials. Once you login to your application portal you'll be able to upload your essay.
In two to three double-spaced pages, please describe significant life experiences that have contributed to your interest in your field, your understanding of this field, your occupational objectives, and why you have chosen Springfield College.
Please include any college activities, out-of-school leadership experiences, work history, and community involvement to support your interest in or qualifications for graduate study. Once your application form is processed you will receive an email with your application portal login credentials. Once you login to your application portal you'll be able to upload your resume.
Letters of Recommendation
This program requires three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will receive an email when you submit your application and will be able to upload your letter to your application.
This program requires an interview.
Official Transcripts from All Institutions Previously/Currently Attended
- An official transcript from each college/university you have attended is required.
- Transcripts must be in English. If the transcript is not in English you will be required to submit a professional credential evaluation completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. In some cases, including if you plan to request coursework be transferred, a course-by-course translation is required. For this we recommend the World Education Services or Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
- In order to be considered official, transcripts must be received directly from the original source, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to the college address:
Office of Graduate Admissions
263 Alden Street
Springfield, MA 01109
All international applicants from non-English speaking countries are required, in addition to the items listed above, to submit:
- Proof of English language proficiency by way of the TOEFL or IELTS. If your undergraduate degree was earned in the United States and you successfully completed College level English, we will consider English language proficiency met.
- Please note: Transcripts must be in English. If the transcript is not in English you will be required to submit a professional credential evaluation completed by any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. In some cases, including if you plan to request coursework be transferred, a course-by-course translation is required. For this we recommend the World Education Services or Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
Our Associate Director of International Admissions Nicholas Venn can answer any questions you may have about enrolling in Springfield College as an international student. You may email him at email@example.com or via phone at (413) 748-3891.
The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) in Physical Education is provided for selected graduate students who wish additional study beyond the master’s program. A minimum of 35 graduate credits is required for the CAGS.
Earned Master’s Degree in Physical Education
3 years of teaching experience
I. Core requirements (8 credits)
- RSCH 610 - Foundations and Methods of Research Credits: 3
- RSCH 618 - Guided Individual Study Credits: 1-6
- PHED 686 - Graduate Field Experience Credits: 1-4
(Note: RSCH 618 and/or PHED 686 most be taken for a minimum total of five credits to meet program requirements)
Choose 12 credits from Physical Education courses with prefixes of AEXS, MOST, PHED, SMRT, HLTH (with advisor approval)
Choose 6 credits in Administration with prefixes of AEXS, SMRT, HLTH (with advisor approval)
Choose 9 credits in courses with prefixes other than AEXS, MOST, SMRT (with advisor approval)
Priority deadlines are as follows:
- March 15 for summer (May) entry
- July 15 for fall (September) entry
- December 1 for spring (January) entry
All required supporting materials are due as follows:
- April 1 for summer (May) entry
- August 1 for fall (September) entry
- January 1 for spring (January) entry
|Graduate Program Courses||$1,138 per credit|
|Approximate total cost (35 credits)||$39,830|
|Graduate Student Fee*||$396|
All approximate costs above are based on 2022-23 academic year costs.
*The graduate student fee (full time) includes the following costs for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Student Government Fee: $21
- Community Engagement Fee: $36
- Recreation Fee: $324
- Class Dues: $15
The graduate student fee (part-time) is $87.50 per semester.