Inclement Weather Notification
Springfield College Weather Notification
College Closing, Cancellation, or Delay of Classes
When there is a closing or delay due to inclement weather, information will be posted here.
Springfield College wishes to keep safe its community members during periods of inclement weather. This page will provide updates regarding weather-related class and event cancellations and office closings before and during inclement weather occurrences. The decision to cancel classes, close the College, and/or cancel or postpone Springfield College-sponsored programs or activities due to inclement weather is based on the overall concern for the safety and security of the College community. In general, our practice is to remain open and to conduct business as usual during periods of inclement weather, except as noted in this communication.
Decisions will be based on the impact on faculty, staff, and students, understanding that some number can teach, work, and learn remotely. Every effort will be made to communicate a decision as early as possible, accounting for weather forecasting and reasonable notification, so that plans and preparations can be made accordingly.
Campus Closing or Delay
- Employees designated as essential personnel will be required to report to work. Your supervisor is responsible for informing you if your position has been designated as essential for this purpose.
- Scheduled face-to-face classes will not take place on the Springfield College campus. At faculty discretion, face-to-face classes may be transitioned that day to a remote class or faculty may work with their chair to make alternate arrangements to make up the missed class time. Faculty should communicate directly with their students on how they will cover their class time.
- Online and Regional classes that meet virtually will be held as usual to those students and faculty, staff. Decisions for cancellations on the Boston or Houston campuses will be made separately for those campuses and communicated directly.
For the Department of Social Work: If the College has established closure or delay for the main campus, the same plan applies to classes held at the Brennan Center on 45 Island Pond Rd., Springfield, Mass.
Typically, determination on whether a closing, cancellation, or delayed opening is necessary will be made by 6 a.m. with notifications in place by 6:15 a.m. Broadcast media usually post the information shortly after that. Please keep in mind, however, that every situation is unique.
When a snowstorm or other weather event occurs during the workday, updated information regarding cancellation of the remainder of day classes, evening classes, and campus activities will be posted on the weather emergency notification page during the day.
Main Campus (Springfield, Mass.) Notifications
When inclement weather necessitates that the main campus of Springfield College close, cancel, or delay events, the College undertakes the following forms of notification:
- The Springfield College Weather Emergency Notification page
- The Springfield College RAVE Alert notification system (text and email)
- The Springfield College website
- The Springfield College internal website, PrideNET
- Instagram Stories
- Local television -- WWLP-NBC TV 22, WGGB-ABC TV 40, WSHM-CBS TV 3, WGGB-FOX TV 6, and WVIT-NBC Connecticut
SC Alert/RAVE Alert Emergency Notification System
Register or make changes to your Springfield College RAVE Alert account here.
The cancellation of athletic events will be determined by the Director of Athletics. The determination is made independently of a decision about classes. The safety of students, staff, and faculty will be factored into all decisions regarding travel.
Facilities Open During Inclement Weather
Activities for Students: If the main campus has a weather-related closing, there will be a full slate of activities for students. These activities will be posted in Cheney Hall, the campus union, and residence halls.
In addition, the following facilities will be open and available:
|The Table @ Cheney Hall
2/25: 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; 3:30 to 8 p.m.
|La Sabrosa, Roasted, Subway, Sushi, and Marketplace
2/25: Two floor 24-hour space is open with scan card access to the building
|2/25: 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
|Wellness & Recreation Complex
2/25: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
*Closing hours are subject to change throughout the day based on the severity of the storm. Please check PrideNET during storms for the most up-to-date information.
Clearing of Parking Lots
Students are notified of snow removal dates and timing via postings in residence halls, Springfield College email, and posted signs at lots on the day of snow removal. Please remember that it is the responsibility of the individual to find out when the removal will occur.
When classes are not canceled, it is the personal decision of each of our non-residential students regarding their ability to drive to campus for scheduled classes safely. Students who believe that they should not drive to campus should contact their faculty members prior to class as they would for any other unexpected absence, such as an illness or a transportation issue.