The Springfield Police Academy recently hosted its graduation ceremony for Academy Class 0520. As part of the ceremony, Springfield College Officer Joseph Gandolfi was recognized as part of Class 0520 and he was pinned by Springfield College Sergeant Kevin Healey on behalf of Springfield College Police Chief Karen Leary.
A total of 44 recruits were recognized at the ceremony at the Carriage House within Barney Estate in Springfield’s Forest Park, which was closed to the public for social distancing purposes.
Along with Gandolfi, the following graduates were sworn in:
- 34 Springfield Police Officers to be pinned by Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood
- 3 Chicopee Police Officers to be pinned by Lt. Holly Davis on behalf of Chief William Jebb
- 3 West Springfield Police Officers to be pinned by Chief Paul Connor
- 2 Ludlow Police Officers to be pinned by Acting Chief Michael Brennan
- 1 UMass Amherst Police Officer to be pinned by Chief Tyrone Parham
Starting on Sunday, May 10 and continuing through Saturday, May 16, the United States is recognizing National Police Week, established by a joint resolution of Congress in 1962. National Police Week pays special recognition to law enforcement officers. On Friday, May 15, flags will be flown at half-staff in memory of those officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.