Summer is a time to relax, but it doesn't mean you should forget your professional goals. Career Center Director, Scott Dranka, gives advice on how you can stay active and professional even when school is out for the summer.
While it's important to take time off in between school terms, summer months are also a great time for you to further advance yourself in your desired career industry. The Springfield College Career Center encourages students to stay active in their job pursuit and polish their professional profile throughout the summer months with the following suggestion:
1. Explore areas of interest in your field.
For example, network with employers who might be valuable contacts after graduation or see if you can job shadow someone for the day. Getting a look at a day-in-the-life can be very valuable.
2. Schedule informational interviews with people in the field.
3. Find a summer job in a field that is closely aligned with your future full-time career path.
4. Update your resume.
5. Practice writing cover letters.
6. Create or update your LinkedIn account.
7. Create a list of agencies where you would be interested in working after graduation.
8. Perform independent research to learn trends and desired qualifications needed in your career industry area.
Here's some information you may need:
Stay in Touch With the Career Center
Connect with us on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter: @SCCareerCenter
Follow us on Instagram: @sccareercenter
Phone: 413-748-3222 or 413-748-3110
Wishing all our students and alumni a happy and relaxing summer!