Know the Code
The Springfield College alcohol policy includes the following:
- Only those of age (21+) are permitted to have and consume alcohol on campus.
- No alcohol is permitted in the first-year residence halls—Gulick, Massasoit, and Reed—by anyone of any age.
- You may not provide alcohol to anyone under the age of 21.
- Students of age may not have open containers. Alcohol must be consumed in a private room or in a designated area.
- You may not drive on campus while under the influence.
- You cannot have a fake ID.
- You are still responsible for your behavior while under the influence.
Even though adult-use (recreational) marijuana is legal in Massachusetts, Springfield College prohibits all marijuana on campus. The College is required to follow federal law, which still classifies marijuana as a Schedule I illegal substance.
The possession and consumption of marijuana is prohibited on campus. All drug paraphernalia (e.g. pipes, bongs, grinders) is also prohibited.
Off-campus, the following rules apply:
- Only individuals over the age of 21 may possess or consume marijuana. Marijuana remains prohibited for those under age 21.
- Individuals may use only in private residences. Some apartment or rental leases may prohibit marijuana use.
- The use of marijuana in public is prohibited.
- Possessing open marijuana in vehicles is prohibited.
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is prohibited.
- Purchase and sale of marijuana is only permitted at licensed dispensaries.