Classes at the Child Development Center are organized according to the developmental stages of children, making the transition from one level to the next smooth, positive, and enriching. Depending on their age, children can join one of three groups, including the toddler room, the 3s room, and the PreK room.
The Toddler Room
Ages 15 months to 2 years, 9 months
Toddlers grow and change at an amazing pace, and are continuously trying to gain an understanding of their world. The toddler classroom is designed to give toddlers the opportunity to take the first steps toward independence in an environment that is both enriching and nurturing. Some features of the toddler room include:
- A poster on the wall for each child that includes a photo of themselves, their family, and a piece of artwork, as well as a family photo album in the book area.
- A dramatic play area that encourages children to role-play their family lives, as well as other community members.
The 3s Room and the PreK Room
3s: Ages 2 years, 9 months to 3 years, 6 months
PreK: Ages 3 years, 6 months to 5 years
The preschool curriculum encourages exploration and experimentation while letting inquisitive preschoolers develop at their own pace.
By focusing on different aspects of learning and play, the open area classrooms give preschoolers ample opportunity to express themselves and try something new.
- Block building promotes fine motor skill development and fosters creativity.
- The science center promotes hands-on learning and awareness of the natural world.
- The exploration table lets small hands experiment with sensory perception.
- Dramatic play encourages the use of imagination through multicultural material.
- The writing center, complete with stationery, stamps, and special mailboxes, allows for the development of early communication and literacy skills.
- The manipulation area, with puzzles, geometric shapes, and matching games, promotes critical thinking skills.
- The computer station and audio center enable children to sing or just listen to music—all activities that encourage thinking, problem solving, and social skills.
With support and guidance from our teachers, children in the PreK group begin to grasp the concepts of cooperation, respect, and responsibility.