Study Abroad Update: Coronavirus
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Dear Students Abroad,
As you are likely aware, the Coronavirus outbreak continues to evolve and spread to more locations outside of China, where it was initially detected. We want to make sure you are well informed about the disease and assure you that the International Center at Springfield College is closely monitoring this rapidly evolving situation.
What is Coronavirus? Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China. Please review the COVID-19 Fact Sheet from the CDC.
What should you do?
- Read and abide by all guidance from your host university and / or program provider about the Coronavirus in your location
- Educate yourself about the disease and how it spreads by reviewing the information on the CDC website
- Follow these CDC recommendations to protect yourself from the disease:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20
seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains
at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
Your health and well-being is our top priority. We encourage all students to communicate regularly with their families about any developments related to the Coronavirus in your location. Also, if you have any specific concerns about pre-existing or emerging health conditions that you are managing, please reach out to your on-site program coordinator as well as your primary care doctor. Remember that in addition to any program or country-specific health insurance that you may have, all students studying abroad have medical and emergency coverage through International SOS (I-SOS). If you haven't already done so, you are advised to download the I-SOS app: app.internationalsos.com
We will continue to provide updates as necessary. However, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Heather St. Germaine, M.Ed | Associate Director
Doggett International Center