Current Students | Springfield College

Field Education Office

For questions about field internship requirements and possibilities, please contact Jacqueline LeHouiller at or (413) 748-3001.

Field Education Placements

The Department of Graduate Social Work has developed field placements at more than 300 agencies in New England and New York State. For a list of possible agencies, click here.

No field placements are available after 5pm. Weekend students complete field placements during regular weekday business hours.

Advising Check Sheets

Graduate Fellowships/Assistantships

Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program


Scholarship Award Applications

Student Aid and Loan Forgiveness

Licensing Preparation

SSW will host the License Preparation Course with Social Work Examination Services. The comprehensive two-day review is designed for recent graduates and experienced practitioners taking Social Work Licensing Examinations in all states.

Be sure to indicate you are a graduate of Department of Graduate Social Work to receive a reduced rate for study guides and the two day training program.

Register here:
Contact information: (800) 933-8802

Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) for Connecticut

The Department of Public Health (DPH) has informed NASW/CT that they will begin accepting applications for the Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) on May 15, 2014. The LMSW will be an online application. The link to the application will be on the DPH website. Once we have the direct link we will post it to our website. To view the DPH website go to

The fee for the application is $220.00. Applicants will need to have an official transcript from your MSW program sent to DPH. Once your application has been approved DPH will notify you as to applying to take the Master level social work exam.

The LMSW or LCSW will be required to practice clinical social work in Connecticut. MSWs within one year of LCSW eligibility as of May 2014 can waive taking the LMSW.

For details on the LMSW click here

Please note that DPH has final say on all licensure matters.

Procedure for Applying for School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor License in Massachusetts

The following outlines the procedure for applying for the Massachusetts school social worker/school adjustment counselor license. As you may know, the Department of Graduate Social Work does not have an approved preparation program for this license. However, the Massachusetts Department of Education has an alternative licensure process for applicants who have an MSW.

Applicants who wish to apply under this process need to:

  • Have an MSW
  • Have a Massachusetts social work license (LCSW or LICSW)
  • Pass the Massachusetts Communication and Literacy Skills Test with registration information found at:
  • Complete the regular application for the School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor license

Licensure regulations, information and application are available here.  The applicant should request in their initial letter that they are seeking certification through the panel review process. In this process, the student will need to demonstrate knowledge outlined in the Massachusetts Department of Education regulations. Applicants are advised to describe in their resumes and other supplemental material (letters, lists of relevant courses) how they have acquired this knowledge. A curriculum matrix with this information is available from Department of Graduate Social Work. If the DOE requires further evidence of an applicant’s qualifications, the applicant may be asked to provide additional written material and/or may be interviewed in person by a staff member at the DOE. The student must have done a practicum of 900 hours, 450 of which have been working with children, adolescents and families in an educational setting.

The application, resume and other materials should be submitted to:
The Massachusetts Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure

For additional questions, contact:
Timothy Wilson
Project Director
Phone: (781) 338-6603

Professional Social Work Employment Opportunities

Professional Membership Organizations

Social Work Laws and Regulations

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) has launched a web-based version of its Social Work Laws and Regulations: A Comparison Guide, a project that will make the most extensive source for social work regulatory information available as a free service. Through this new database system, ASWB is making comparative data on social work licensing widely available to the general public as well as the social work profession.
Users can find information on a specific date, province or territory, and view tables that compare requirements throughout the U.S. and Canada.
The information is accessible through ASWB's web site:

Student Organization

The Student Organization unifies and strengthens the student body at the Department of Graduate Social Work by providing opportunities to organize around student interests and develop student activities. Student Organization Officers represent students in major decisions at SSW and establish connections to student life at Springfield College.

Other Resources

Learn More About the Department of Social Work